1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty Principle

1. Feb 5, 2006 #1
    I am having trouble getting going on this problem and I'm hoping someone can help get me started.
    I have no idea how to do solve this. Originally I thought about using Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and setting delta x = 1 m. Yet I don't see how the uncertainty in that direction is related to a perpendicular velocity that the car would be approaching in. Perhaps I just don't understand the concept fully, as I don't see why there is a minimum speed I must be going to be sure I won't hit the side.

I will be grateful for any help.
    Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2006 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Is it possible this is a trick question? Sounds to me like it can be solved without invoking HUP.

4. Feb 18, 2006 #3
    I have a similar problem to tempst33k's .. this time with electrons. It seems the wavelength (uncertainty?) is in the direction of travel and my interest is in the 'size' normal to the direction of travel.

A comment on whether the 'uncertainty' and wavelength are or are not the same would be most appreciated.

Can anyone help please?

5. Feb 18, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't like these types of problems.

Sounds like de Broglie.

Regards,
    George

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?