1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty Principle

1. Mar 9, 2004 #1
    Can anyone help me on this??

In a contest to drop a marble with mass 30 g from the roof of a building onto a small target 50 m below. From uncertainty principle considerations, what is the typical distance by which you will miss the target, given that you aim with the highest possible accuracy? Ignore wind and air resistance.

[Hint: Let x be the coordinate in the horizontal direction. You should realise that the uncertainty in the position x of the marble when it reaches the ground depends on both the initial uncertainty in the position xi, and the initial uncertainty in the speed vx.]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let the initial position x0 lie in the interval:
    [-dx,dx]

Let the initial velocity v0 lie in the interval:
    [-dv,dv]

Now use the ordinary kinematic equations to figure out the extreme values of x(t) and v(t) when the marble hits the target.

4. Mar 14, 2004 #3
    Would the uncertainty principle apply to a marble?

I was always told that it applied to sub-atomic particles. Even atoms were supposed to obey semi-classical formula in my education.

5. Mar 18, 2004 #4
    I've had a longer think about this question (and I haven't done any active physics for years, please forgive the poorly articulated arguement) but I would expect the following:

A particle of uncertainty dX has 2/3 chance of being in the region
    x +/- dx.

Two particles each with an uncertainty of dx in a system (ignoring the interactions) should have a centre with a lower uncertainty. Even if both particles are outside the 2/3 probability, if one is on the extreme left and one on the extreme right, this would cancel.

So a mole of particles(or say 10^23) should have a centre with almost no uncertainty even without taking into account the structure of the substance.

I reason that the same is true of particle momenta.

I think this reasoning is wrong because you are all brilliant and I'm useless (and the marble question sounds like a formal one). But why?

Sorry this post was put together at lunch in a cafe. I usally have time to make a proper go of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?