What is the concept behind the Uncertainty Principle?

In summary, the uncertainty principle states that it is not possible to know the exact values of both position and momentum simultaneously. This is due to the fact that when one variable is known with higher precision, the other must have a larger uncertainty. While some problems may seem to solve for position by plugging in values for mass and velocity, the uncertainty in the value of change in position is still present. The principle also applies to Schrödinger's equation, and while it may seem complex, it ultimately states the impossibility of attributing precise values to both position and momentum in a quantum state.
quicksilver123
I'm trying to understand the uncertainty principle.

ΔxΔp >= h/4∏

from my understanding of the concept, its not possible to know the value of the position and the momentum simultaneously. yet the problems that i see floating around on the internet seem to just plug in values for mass and velocity to solve for position.

i understand that the answer yielded would be

Δx >= whatever

showing that there is uncertainty in the value of change in position.

is that all there is to it? or am i missing something here?
edit - I'm also trying to teach myself about Schrödinger's equation but the mathematics involved seem too complex.

Physics news on Phys.org
quicksilver123 said:
yet the problems that i see floating around on the internet seem to just plug in values for mass and velocity to solve for position.
here is a very simple example of how to use the uncertainty equation:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. The principle was mentioned in my chemistry course. I had a previous familiarization with the concept so I just googled some problems being solved.

The link cleared it up. Thanks.

also, just to clear you understanding - the more you know about position, the less you know about momentum. and when they say "its not possible to know the value of the position and the momentum simultaneously" they really mean "its not possible to know the exact value of the position and the momentum simultaneously" So let's say you know fairly accurately the position of your electron - the uncertainty in its momentum will be very large.

The HUP in its precise mathematics formulation is not about our knowledge of position x and momentum p, it's about the impossibility to attribute x and p to a quantum state with higher precision. So he HUP does not only say that we cannot know (nor measure) x and p with higher precision, but that in a general quantum state the particle cannot have auch x and p.

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle concept?

The Uncertainty Principle concept, also known as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and highlights the limitations of our ability to measure and observe particles at the subatomic level.

2. Who discovered the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle was first proposed by the German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. Heisenberg's work in quantum mechanics and his formulation of the Uncertainty Principle were groundbreaking and have had a significant impact on our understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic level.

3. How does the Uncertainty Principle affect our observations of particles?

The Uncertainty Principle tells us that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This means that the more precisely we measure one of these properties, the less precisely we can measure the other. In other words, there is a trade-off between the accuracy of our measurements of position and momentum.

4. Can the Uncertainty Principle be overcome?

The Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and cannot be overcome. It is not a limitation of our technology but a fundamental property of particles at the subatomic level. However, there are ways to minimize the effects of the Uncertainty Principle, such as using advanced techniques and equipment in experiments.

5. How does the Uncertainty Principle impact our understanding of the universe?

The Uncertainty Principle plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, as it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It has implications for the behavior of particles and the nature of reality at the subatomic level. Without the Uncertainty Principle, our understanding of the universe would be incomplete, and many phenomena would not be explainable.