Uncertainty Principle: Solving a Problem I'm Having

In summary, the uncertainty principle states that the more accurately you know the position of a particle, the less you know about its velocity and vice versa. This applies to more than just position and momentum, and it is a statistical principle that does not apply to single measurements. Additionally, velocity is not a meaningful quantity in quantum mechanics, and the concept of momentum is different in this context. This can be seen in the example of an electron moving in an electromagnetic field. To know the exact position of a particle, one can shine a light wave on it, but the more accurate the position is, the higher frequency is needed, which can cause disturbance in the velocity. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle was explained to the person through a single slit light
Spastik_Relativity
a problem i had recently. I've always thought of the uncertainty principle as if you understand position you less understand velocity and vise versa. the model i know is that to know the exact poition of a particle you shine a light wave on it, the more accurate u want the position the higher frequency you need but the more disturbance in velocity you cause. the problem I am having is my teacher tried to explain in used a single slit light experiment similar to the famous double split experiment. i just didnt quite understand how it works so if anyone could help me with this it would be much appreciated.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone wrote an amazing explanation of the uncertainty principle that I read on here just a few days back, try searching for it.

Single Slit Experiment Resulsts Are Caused By Diffraction Of Light Double Split Experiment Results Are Caused By Interference Of Light

Hmm Mmmm
Intersting Topic For Pondering .

Spastik_Relativity said:
a problem i had recently. I've always thought of the uncertainty principle as if you understand position you less understand velocity and vise versa. the model i know is that to know the exact poition of a particle you shine a light wave on it, the more accurate u want the position the higher frequency you need but the more disturbance in velocity you cause. the problem I am having is my teacher tried to explain in used a single slit light experiment similar to the famous double split experiment. i just didnt quite understand how it works so if anyone could help me with this it would be much appreciated.

thanks

I wrote something about this a while back, but couldn't find the right thread to refer to. So I'll make a reference to my journal entry below:

[11-15-2004 08:26 AM] - Misconception of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle

You may want to read this since I used specifically the single-slit diffraction phenomenon to convey the fact that the diffraction effects is the HUP staring at you right on your face.

Zz.

Funny Zz, the explanation I was thinking of was your journal entry. Its great, by the way.

whozum said:
Funny Zz, the explanation I was thinking of was your journal entry. Its great, by the way.

Then maybe I'm psychic, or I've just invaded your mind. Either way, it's not good!

:)

Zz.

ZapperZ, nice expliantion. its definitely helped me further understand the HUP.

extreme_machinations said:
Single Slit Experiment Resulsts Are Caused By Diffraction Of Light Double Split Experiment Results Are Caused By Interference Of Light

And where would you draw the line (if there is such a thing) between the 2 classical phenomena...?Give a documented answer.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
And where would you draw the line (if there is such a thing) between the 2 classical phenomena...?

i wouldn't know

Give a documented answer.

Daniel.
yes professor...

marlon

Both phenomena: diffraction and interference are effects of the waves who passes 1 or more splits.
The idea is that the same 'thing' seems TO US to bee a 'wave' some times and a 'particle' some other times.
In fact the concepts of wave and particle are mathematical MODELS in our minds that try to explain what is happening around us (and sometimes do that very well).
The fact is that in this case do not.
The really unpleasant fact is that we are no one intuitive MODEL (and now seems that we will never have) to explain this fact.

I have read Zapperz's misconception of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle (and in magazines/books etc) and am still confused. What your saying when you describe how when the slit is made smaller the spread of the particles becomes increasingly spread out doesn't makes sense. So you say in classical mechanics you can predict things as accuratly as you want but in quantum mechanics this is not so? So what does this really mean?, what does it imply?

Beholder said:
I have read Zapperz's misconception of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle ...

I would say that's uncalled for, Beholder. You might try researching the subject before you begin your critique. ZapperZ's description is accurate.

Beholder said:
I have read Zapperz's misconception of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle (and in magazines/books etc) and am still confused. What your saying when you describe how when the slit is made smaller the spread of the particles becomes increasingly spread out doesn't makes sense. So you say in classical mechanics you can predict things as accuratly as you want but in quantum mechanics this is not so? So what does this really mean?, what does it imply?

You will note that you CAN do this and test it for yourself! I'm not describing something a high-school physics student hasn't seen before. So if you don't think that the pattern you see spreads out as you make the slit smaller, then you have a serious issue with explaining experimental observation.

Also note that arguing against something because it doesn't make 'sense' to you isn't a valid argument in physics. A lot of things do not makes sense until you learn more about it. THEN they make perfect sense. Your "sense" changes with knowledge - it isn't static, nor perfect. The more you know, the more things make sense that didn't used to before. I urge you to never use that to counter something in physics, because frankly, that doesn't make much sense!

Zz.

Spastik_Relativity said:
a problem i had recently. I've always thought of the uncertainty principle as if you understand position you less understand velocity and vise versa.
That is a statistical principle and does not apply to any single measurement. This applies to more than position and momentum. You mentioned "velocity" but there is no "velocity" operator in QM. Its not a meaningful quantity in QM. One might be tempted to define a velocity operator by dividing the momentum operator by the mass of the particle. However the momentum of the particle is not the mechanical momentum p = mv, its the canonical momentum, which can be different. In fact for an electron moving in an EM field it is different.
... the model i know is that to know the exact poition of a particle you shine a light wave on it, the more accurate u want the position the higher frequency you need but the more disturbance in velocity you cause.
That is correct.
... the problem I am having is my teacher tried to explain in used a single slit light experiment similar to the famous double split experiment. i just didnt quite understand how it works so if anyone could help me with this it would be much appreciated.

thanks
The double slit experiment is often used to show that you can't say which hole the particle went through. What you're speaking of sounds to me very much like an experiment like the microscope experiment. Have you ever read about that one?

Pete

Last edited:
DrChinese said:
I would say that's uncalled for, Beholder. You might try researching the subject before you begin your critique. ZapperZ's description is accurate.
That's just pure comedy genius! :rofl:

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time with complete accuracy.

2. How does the Uncertainty Principle affect problem solving?

The Uncertainty Principle makes it impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle, which can make it difficult to accurately solve certain problems in quantum mechanics.

3. Can the Uncertainty Principle be overcome?

No, the Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and cannot be overcome. It is a natural limitation in our ability to understand and measure the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

4. Are there any practical applications of the Uncertainty Principle?

Yes, the Uncertainty Principle has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles in various experiments and technologies.

5. How can I apply the Uncertainty Principle to solve a problem I'm having?

The Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is not directly applicable to solving everyday problems. However, understanding its implications can help us think critically and approach problem solving in a new way.