Uncertainty Principle of a high speed particle

In summary, the conversation discussed Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and its relationship to the velocity of a particle. It was explained that a high uncertainty in the measurement of velocity results in a wide range of values, which can be attributed to the wave nature of particles and the principles of wave mechanics. This understanding was reached through a discussion of the Schrodinger equation and its application in different bases.
Misha Kuznetsov
Hello everyone,
Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle states that the less uncertainty there is of a particles position, the more uncertainty there has to be of its momentum. Since mass is a constant in this case, we can refer to the uncertainty of the velocity instead. I was reading a physics book, The Feynman Lectures on Physics, and it mentioned, "if we try to pin down a particle by forcing it to be at a particular place, it ends up by having a high speed."

My question is, what does high speed of a particle have to do with the uncertainty of its velocity? Is it that it is more difficult to precisely measure the velocity of a particle at high speeds?

Physics news on Phys.org
Misha Kuznetsov said:
My question is, what does high speed of a particle have to do with the uncertainty of its velocity? Is it that it is more difficult to precisely measure the velocity of a particle at high speeds?

A high uncertainty means that if you measure the speed many times (more precisely, you repeat the experiment from the beginning many times, making one measurement each time) you'll get a wide range of values. The average of these values has to be far from zero, as otherwise the range wouldn't be wide. Thus, if you measure the speed, you expect to get a value that is far from zero... and that's a high speed.

Okay, I think I understand now. Is there a wide range of values for the speed because adding many waves of various wavelengths yields one that is more localized, but its momentum (wavelength) becomes spread out and less constant? And so when you measure many times, you find the wavelength from different waves each time?

Misha Kuznetsov said:
Okay, I think I understand now. Is there a wide range of values for the speed because adding many waves of various wavelengths yields one that is more localized, but its momentum (wavelength) becomes spread out and less constant? And so when you measure many times, you find the wavelength from different waves each time?

Yes, that's pretty much how the math works out when you use the basic formalism of wave mechanics and the Schrodinger equation in the position and momentum bases - transform a position wave function with a steep peak around one location to the momentum basis and you get a wide flat shape and vice versa.

Thank you so much, that helped a lot. :smile:

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle of a high speed particle?

The Uncertainty Principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a high speed particle simultaneously. This means that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.

2. Who developed the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle was developed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927 as part of his work on quantum mechanics.

3. How does the Uncertainty Principle impact our understanding of the physical world?

The Uncertainty Principle challenges the classical Newtonian view of the physical world, which assumes that everything can be measured and predicted with absolute certainty. It suggests that at a fundamental level, there is a limit to what we can know about the behavior of particles and the universe.

4. Can the Uncertainty Principle be overcome or circumvented?

No, the Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be overcome or circumvented. It is a consequence of the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level.

5. How is the Uncertainty Principle relevant in modern science and technology?

The Uncertainty Principle has important implications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and even in everyday technologies like microchips and lasers. It has also sparked ongoing debates and discussions about the nature of reality and the limitations of human knowledge.