1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty Product for a hydrogen-like atom, need help

1. May 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the uncertainty product ΔrΔp for the 1s electron of a hydrogen-like atom with atomic number Z. (Hint: Use <p> = 0 by symmetry and deduce <p^2> from the average kinetic energy)

2. Relevant equations

All I have is the wavefunction. For a 1s, it takes the form:

wavefunction = (Z/a0)^(3/2)*2exp(-Zr/a0)

Where Z is the atomic number, a0 is the Bohr radius

Other equations that I think I need include:

The energy for a hydrogen-like atom: E = (-13.6 eV)(Z^2/n^2)

Δr = √(<r^2> - <r>^2)
    Δp = √(<p^2> - <p>^2)

<f> = ∫f(r)*P(r)dr

That integral is from 0 to ∞, and the <> are supposed to denote averages.

3. The attempt at a solution

I can find Δr no problem. Just use the above formula, where f(r) is r^2 for <r^2> and f(r) is r for <r>^2. The problem is finding the uncertainty in momentum. The above formula for momentum uncertainty should reduce down to

Δp = √(<p^2>)

And that's where I'm stuck; the hint isn't helping me much.

For another problem, I found the uncertainty in KE by finding the uncertainty in <U> for a hydrogen atom, and then used <KE> + <U> = <E>, where <E> = -13.6/n^2.

I'm not sure what the potential for a hydrogen-like atom is. Also, how can I get KE into momentum? I'm just confused on this part as a whole.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2013 #2
    you may probably calculate <p2> by using
    <p2>=∫ψ*p2ψd3r,then apply first quantized form as p=-ih-∂/∂r and then you have to do some by part or a simple straightforward way without by part and done.On the other hand you might want to use
    k.E.=p2/2m

4. May 18, 2013 #3
    Am I too late?

It's no problem to calculate the expectation values of the position operators with a position-space wavefunction right? So it should be just as easy to calculate the expecation values of momemtum operators with a momentum-space wavefunction!

If you find the momentum-space wavefunction, you are in the clear. My method completely ignores the hint though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted