"Uncertainity Product for Particle in 1-D Box

In summary, the uncertainty product (Δx)(Δp) for the ground state of a particle moving freely in a one-dimensional box is h/2.
Sushmita

Homework Statement

For the ground state of a particle moving freely in a one-dimensional box 0≤x≤L with rigid reflecting end points, the uncertainity product (Δx)(Δp) is
(A) h/2
(B) h√2
(C) >h/2
(D) h/√3

Homework Equations

The uncertainity principle says that -
(Δx)(Δp) ≥ ħ/2
Ground state energy in a one dimensional box of size L is E = π2ħ2/(2mL2)

The Attempt at a Solution

The particle will be localised in the resion between 0 and L. So the positional uncertainity is L
(Δx) =L

Particle is in the ground state
E= π2ħ2/(2mL2)
p2/(2m) = π2ħ2/(2mL2)
From here I have calculated the momentum ( p= πħ/L) of the particle but I cannot find the uncertainity in position. Can you give me a direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sushmita said:
From here I have calculated the momentum ( p= πħ/L) of the particle but I cannot find the uncertainity in position. Can you give me a direction.
You really need to find Δp. How would you do that?
As for the uncertainty in position, you just stated it is L.
Sushmita said:
The particle will be localised in the resion between 0 and L. So the positional uncertainity is L

Last edited:
I think you mean the uncertainty in momentum. I"m a little rusty in QM but I believe what you just calculated is the expectation value of p22, <p2>. Momentum is not a single number (which would violate the uncertainty principle).

I believe the average value of p is 0, so the variance in p (the square of Δp) is <p2> - <p>2 = <p2>. So the expression you gave for p, the square root of the variance, is actually the momentum uncertainty you're looking for.

RPinPA said:
I think you mean the uncertainty in momentum. I"m a little rusty in QM but I believe what you just calculated is the expectation value of p22, <p2>. Momentum is not a single number (which would violate the uncertainty principle).

I believe the average value of p is 0, so the variance in p (the square of Δp) is <p2> - <p>2 = <p2>. So the expression you gave for p, the square root of the variance, is actually the momentum uncertainty you're looking for.

Oh yeah. I was totally missing this out. I tried the whole problem by calculating Δp from √(<p2> - <p>2)
I am getting uncertainity in momentum too now which is Δp = πħ/L.
So now (Δx)(Δp) = L × πħ/L = πħ = π× (h/2π) = h/2.
But this is not the answer.
Answer is (d) h/√3

kuruman said:
You really need to find Δp. How would you do that?
As for the uncertainty in position, you just stated it is L.
I typed it wrong. I meant uncertainity in momentum.

Sushmita said:
I tried the whole problem by calculating Δp from √(<p2> - <p>2)
Wouldn't you need to calculate Δx in a similar manner? However, when I calculate Δx this way, I still don't get h/√3 for ΔxΔp. But I could be slipping up in the calculation. I agree with your result that Δp = πħ/L = h/(2L).

1. What is the Uncertainty Product for Particle in 1-D Box?

The Uncertainty Product for Particle in 1-D Box is a mathematical concept used to describe the inherent uncertainty in the position and momentum of a particle confined to a one-dimensional box. It is given by the product of the uncertainty in position and the uncertainty in momentum, as described by Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

2. How is the Uncertainty Product for Particle in 1-D Box calculated?

The Uncertainty Product for Particle in 1-D Box is calculated by taking the square root of the product of the variance in position squared and the variance in momentum squared. The variance in position and momentum can be calculated using the wave function of the particle in the box and its corresponding operators.

3. What is the significance of the Uncertainty Product for Particle in 1-D Box?

The Uncertainty Product for Particle in 1-D Box is significant because it demonstrates the fundamental limitations on our ability to simultaneously know the position and momentum of a particle. It also highlights the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and the inherent uncertainty in measuring physical quantities at the subatomic level.

4. How does the size of the box affect the Uncertainty Product for Particle in 1-D Box?

The size of the box has a direct impact on the Uncertainty Product for Particle in 1-D Box. As the size of the box decreases, the uncertainty in the position of the particle decreases, while the uncertainty in momentum increases. This results in a larger Uncertainty Product and a higher level of uncertainty in the particle's position and momentum.

5. Can the Uncertainty Product for Particle in 1-D Box be used to predict the behavior of a particle?

No, the Uncertainty Product for Particle in 1-D Box cannot be used to predict the behavior of a particle. It is a mathematical concept that describes the inherent uncertainty in measuring the position and momentum of a particle. Other factors, such as the potential energy of the particle and external forces, must also be considered to accurately predict its behavior.