Calculate Physics Lab Uncertainty: Ekrot, Moment of Inertia, Angular Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses calculations for a physics lab, specifically the calculation of Ekrot, Moment of Inertia, and angular velocity. The equations used include Ug = mgh, Ekrot = ½Iѡ², and Ek = ½mv². The conversation also touches on the topic of uncertainties and how to calculate them. Ultimately, the person asking for help was able to figure out the calculation on their own.
Ush

Homework Statement

this isn't really a word problem, it's part of a series of calculations from a physics lab
in this lab,
Ug = energy at initial position
Ug -> Ekrot + Ek at final position

I need to calculate
1. Ekrot
2. Moment of Inertia
3. angular velocity

Homework Equations

Ug = mgh
Ekrot = ½Iѡ²
Ek = ½mv²

ѡ = v/r

v = 2h/t (in this case)

m = 0.100m ± 0.0005
g = 9.8m/s²
h = 0.800m ± 0.0005
v = 0.21m/s ±0.01
r = 0.004m ± 0.002
t = 7.66s ± 0.08

The Attempt at a Solution

mgh = Ekrot + ½mv²
Ekrot = mgh - ½mv²

Δmgh = |dy/dm mgh| + |dy/dh mgh|
= |dy/dm gh| + |dy/dh mg|
= |dy = ghΔm| + |dy = mgΔh|

relative error = Δmgh / mgh

= |ghΔm / mgh| + |mgΔh / mgh|
= |Δm/m| + |Δm/h|

similarly, the relative uncertainty of ½mv² is..

Δ½mv²/½mv² = |Δm/m| + |2Δv/v|so... now what?
We're not allowed to add relative uncertainties, i really don't know what to do here
We can add absolute uncertainty but I have no knowledge on how to calculate absolute uncertainty.

also, the angular velocity, ѡ, = v/r. There is an uncertainty on v and an uncertainty on r. so how do I calculate moment of inertia (I) after I have the uncertainty of Ekrot?? The uncertainties of ѡ and r weren't used when when calculating uncertainty of Ekrot (unless my steps above are way off.. which i doubt)

I'm very confused, any help would be appreciated
thank you
~Ush

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, relative uncertainties can't be added. I normally calculate using absolute ones, in a way so that I calculate the min and max values, and use the average.

For example, say t = 10+-0.1 secs and s = 50+-1meters, simple linear motion.

v(min) = 49m / 10.1 secs = 4.85
v(max) = 51m / 9.9secs = 5.15

So then I would say that v = 5m/s +- 0.15m/s.
Then follow the same routine to calculate other things, perhaps I=mv, according to this.

Tusike said:
As far as I know, relative uncertainties can't be added. I normally calculate using absolute ones, in a way so that I calculate the min and max values, and use the average.

For example, say t = 10+-0.1 secs and s = 50+-1meters, simple linear motion.

v(min) = 49m / 10.1 secs = 4.85
v(max) = 51m / 9.9secs = 5.15

So then I would say that v = 5m/s +- 0.15m/s.
Then follow the same routine to calculate other things, perhaps I=mv, according to this.

1) You cannot calculate max / min in this because some of the measurements were taken only once and some were taken as an average.
2) moment of inertia ≠ inertia

someone please help =[ I need to send the lab measurements in soon

anyone, please? =[

NVM FOLKS, I found out how to do this! =]
goodday

1. What is uncertainty in physics lab calculations?

Uncertainty in physics lab calculations refers to the range of possible values that a measurement or calculation may have due to limitations in the measuring tools, equipment, or experimental setup. It is important to consider uncertainty in order to accurately interpret and report experimental results.

2. How do you calculate uncertainty in physics lab?

The uncertainty in a physics lab calculation can be determined by considering the precision and accuracy of the measuring tools and equipment used, as well as the limitations of the experimental setup. This can be done through various statistical methods, such as error propagation, or by using the uncertainty values provided by the manufacturer of the equipment.

3. What is Ekrot and how is it calculated?

Ekrot, also known as rotational kinetic energy, is the amount of energy an object possesses due to its rotation. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (I) and the square of the angular velocity (ω) of the rotating object, using the formula Ekrot = 1/2 * I * ω^2.

4. How do you calculate moment of inertia in physics lab?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion. It is calculated by integrating the mass of each individual particle in an object, multiplied by its distance from the axis of rotation squared. The formula for moment of inertia is I = ∫r^2 dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and dm is the mass of the particle.

5. How is angular velocity measured in a physics lab?

Angular velocity is a measure of an object's rotational speed, and it is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) in a physics lab. It can be measured using various instruments, such as a tachometer or a rotary motion sensor, which can track the angular displacement of an object over time and calculate its angular velocity.