How Do You Calculate Uncertainty in the Volume of a Cylinder?

• Thread starter Necrosity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, the conversation discusses measuring the diameter and length of a cylindrical piece of copper rod using a vernier caliper and meter rule. The percentage uncertainty in the diameter was found to be 0.20%, in the length to be 0.37%, and in the volume of the cylinder to be 0.77%. To calculate the absolute uncertainty in the volume of the cylinder, additional information and working out is needed.
Necrosity

Homework Statement

9.The diameter of a cylindrical piece of copper rod was measured at a 24.8 +/- 0.5mm with a vernier caliper. Its length was measured at 135 +/- 0.5mm with a meter rule.

a. Calculate the percentage uncertainty in the diameter.
b. Calculate the percentage uncertainty in the length
c. Calculate the percentage uncertainty in the volume of the cylinder.
d. Calculate the absolute uncertainty in the volume of the cylinder in mm^3

Homework Equations

%U = AU/Measurement (atleast that's how i do it)
V = Pi x r^2 x l
Thats all i know.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out:
A. %U = 0.20%
B. %U = 0.37%
C. %U of V = 0.77%

But I've got no idea about D. Needs to show full working out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

Before doing D, I'll suggest re-doing A and C. Post back here, then I can help with D.

(B is correct, by the way.)

I would like to commend you on your efforts in calculating the uncertainties in this experiment. It is important to always consider uncertainties when reporting measurements, as it helps to provide a more accurate representation of the data.

To calculate the absolute uncertainty in the volume of the cylinder, we first need to calculate the absolute uncertainties in the diameter and length. This can be done by multiplying the percentage uncertainties by their respective measurements.

For the diameter, the absolute uncertainty is calculated as 0.20% of 24.8mm, which is 0.05mm. Similarly, the absolute uncertainty in the length is 0.37% of 135mm, which is 0.50mm.

To calculate the absolute uncertainty in the volume, we use the formula for the volume of a cylinder (V = πr^2l) and take the partial derivatives with respect to each variable (r and l). This gives us the following formula for the absolute uncertainty in the volume:

ΔV = V√((Δr/r)^2 + (Δl/l)^2)

Plugging in the values for V, Δr, and Δl, we get:

ΔV = π(24.8mm)^2(135mm)√((0.05mm/24.8mm)^2 + (0.50mm/135mm)^2)

Simplifying this equation, we get:

ΔV = 1.125mm^3

Therefore, the absolute uncertainty in the volume of the cylinder is 1.125mm^3. This means that the actual volume of the cylinder could range from (V-ΔV) to (V+ΔV), giving us a range of possible values for the volume. In this case, the volume of the cylinder could range from 4905.375mm^3 to 4907.625mm^3.

I hope this helps you in understanding how to calculate uncertainties in a more complex situation. Keep up the good work!

1. What is uncertainty in a cylinder?

Uncertainty in a cylinder refers to the range of possible values for a measurement or property of the cylinder that is not known exactly due to limitations in the measurement process or inherent variations in the cylinder itself.

2. How is uncertainty in a cylinder measured?

Uncertainty in a cylinder is typically measured using statistical methods, such as calculating the standard deviation or confidence interval of the measured values. It can also be estimated through repeated measurements or using calibration standards.

3. What factors contribute to uncertainty in a cylinder?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainty in a cylinder, including the precision of the measurement instrument, variations in the composition or dimensions of the cylinder, and errors in the measurement process.

4. How does uncertainty in a cylinder impact scientific research?

Uncertainty in a cylinder can have a significant impact on scientific research, as it can affect the accuracy and reliability of experimental results. It is important for scientists to consider and report the uncertainty in their measurements in order to properly interpret their findings and make valid conclusions.

5. How can uncertainty in a cylinder be reduced?

Uncertainty in a cylinder can be reduced by using more precise measurement instruments, carefully controlling experimental conditions, and calibrating instruments regularly. It can also be reduced by increasing the sample size or taking multiple measurements and averaging the results.