1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncle Needs Help

1. Oct 24, 2005 #1
    Uncle Needs Help !!

My niece came to me for help with your physics homework....but I thought she said Physical Science homework ! So I need help !!

Can anyone help ? She has to turn this blasted homework page into school on Tuesday.

I am not trying to do her work for her I am just trying to understand all the forumulas and problems so that I may explain to her.

Please help !!

For starters

I am trying to convert her weight : 135 lbs into: newtons, mass, and kilograms..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2005 #2
    Does the imperial system works with yards for physics? I need to know this for the conversion of her weight

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  4. Oct 24, 2005 #3
    I do not understand...

.....what your are asking !! What is the imperial system.. ?

and I guess I need to convert her weight: 135 lbs into:

newtons

mass

kilograms

5. Oct 24, 2005 #4
    first convert 135lbs into kilos
    1kg = 2.2lbs
    Weight is measured in newtons
    therfore her mass in kilograms X 9.81 = Weight (in newtons)
    weight=mass times gravity(where weight is in newtons and gravity is 9.81m/s^2)

6. Oct 24, 2005 #5
    mass = 61.4Kg
    Weight = 602N

7. Oct 25, 2005 #6
    thanks to everyone who answered this post ! I really appreciate it. I am still up (1:53 AM EST) trying to get this done for her but your help has help me move forward tremendously.

Some of this information is quite interesting. You all may very see me even after her homework is done... *smile*

thanks again...

I am sure I will have more questions as soon as I send this post...LOL...so stay turned....

if anyone wants to....hit me up on Yahoo Messenger at: en0vativ

talk to you then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?