1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unclear Step in Proof

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    Hi

I may be missing something obvious here, but I am reading a paper on random sampling, and in one of the proofs, two consecutive steps run like this:

[tex]
    = \sum_{d=0}^m \left[ {{m}\choose{d}} \left(\frac{1}{n}\right)^d \left(\frac{n-1}{n}\right)^{m-d} \right] \left( \frac{m-d}{m}\right)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    = \sum_{d=0}^{m-1} {{m}\choose{d}} \left(\frac{1}{n}\right)^d \left(\frac{n-1}{n}\right)^{m-d} \ \left( \frac{m-d}{m}\right)
    [/tex]

I cant see how the second step works .... the summation index is decreased by one, but nothing obvious changes inside the summation...is there an assumption or step i am missing? Any help appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The (m-d)/m term is in the summation right? At d=m, that term will become 0, and so d=m doesn't contribute to the sum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?