1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unconstrained motion

1. Oct 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle P F=36/x^3-9/x^2 (X>0)

Show that each motion of P consists of either(i) a periodic oscillation between two extreeme points , or (ii) an unbounded motion with one extreme point, depending upon the value of the total energy . Initially P is projected from the point x=4 with speed 0.5
    . Show that P oscillates between two extremes points and find the period of the motion.
    [You may make use of the formula

Show that there is a single equilibrium position for P and that it is stable. Find the period of small oscillations about this point.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

plugging v=.5 and x=4.0m

tau=2*[tex]\int[/tex] dx/[2*(E-V(x))].5

plugging in v=.5 and x=4 I can now find the extreme points ;

for the particle to be stable d^2V/dx^2 >0
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2
    Maybe I should rephrase the question : Anybody having trouble reading my OP or have trouble understanding what I am trying to conveyed?
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  4. Oct 28, 2008 #3
    I will redo my solution because I think I calculated E wrong.

at turning points , E=0

using the quadratic formula I find that x=4 and x= 2.6667; In actuality , x=3 and x=6. Where did I go wrong?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?