1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncorrelated uncertainties

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For uncorrelated uncertainties LaTeX Code: \\delta x and LaTeX Code: \\delta y give the values and uncertainties for W in standard format.
    A.) W=x+y with x=4.2(0.2) and y=0.7(0.1)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    well i think i am supposed to take the partial derivatives of W with respect to x and y (dW/dx and dW/dy) which both =1. Then is the total derivative DW/DXorY = 1+1 dx/dy? Or do I only use the derivatives for the uncertainties and just plug x and y, 4.2 and 0.7, into W?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have a function [itex]f(x_1, x_2, \cdots, x_n)[/itex] where all the variables [itex]x_i[/itex] have their own uncertainty [itex]\Delta x_i[/itex], then what is the central value for f?
    For the uncertainty there is a formula which involves the partial derivatives, but it's not what you seem to think it is. IIRC it is
    [tex](\Delta f)^2 = \sum_{i = 1}^n \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i} \Delta x_i \right)^2[/tex]
    but you can probably look that up in your textbook.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?