1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncountable interval.

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    show that the interval (0,1) is uncountable iff [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex]
    is uncountable.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Can I take the interval (0,1) and multiply it by a large number and then a large number and eventually extend it to the whole real line. So now (0,1) can be mapped to the whole real line. Then can I use cantors diagonal argument to show that the real line is uncountable?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are probably just looking for a 1-1 function between (0,1) and the real line. 'multiply it by a large number' isn't going to get you there. Can't you think of any functions that map the real line to an open interval?

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    tan(x), will that work

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

tan(x) will map (-pi/2,pi/2) to R, right? Can you fix the function up so the interval is (0,1) instead of (-pi/2,pi/2)?

6. Jan 30, 2012 #5
    can i divide everything in the interval by pi and then shift it to the right by 1/2

7. Jan 30, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You CAN do anything you want if it works. Try it and see. What's your answer for a function mapping (0,1) to R?

8. Jan 30, 2012 #7
    okay so [itex] tan(\pi(x-\frac{\pi}{2})) [/itex] should do the trick for the mapping.
    at this point can I show the reals are uncountable.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  9. Jan 30, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, that's a 1-1 correspondence between (0,1) and R alright. Edit: Oh, wait. Don't you mean [itex] tan(\pi(x-\frac{1}{2})) [/itex]? Try the endpoints again.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  10. Jan 31, 2012 #9
    ok ya your right. so now that have a one-to-one correspondence between (0,1) and the real line.
    If I show that the real line is uncountable using cantors diagonal arguement. will that complete the proof. Thanks for your help by the way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook