Undamped forced oscillations

In summary: This can be avoided by waiting until you have found the particular solution as well.In summary, when solving a forced oscillation problem, you first find the general solution by solving the homogeneous equation and then add the particular solution to get the final solution. Make sure to wait until you have found the particular solution before applying the initial conditions to avoid errors.
jrsweet

Homework Statement

This is an example of an Undamped Forced Oscillation where the phenomenon of Pure Resonance Occurs.

Find the solution of the initial value problem:
x'' + 4 x = 8 sin(2 t) , x(0)=x'(0)=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

in class we were given the equation:
x''+(k/m)x=(F0/m)cos(ѡt)
and,
x_p= [(F0/m)/(ѡ0^2-ѡ^2)]cos(ѡt)
where ѡ0=sqrt(k/m)

However, in this equation ѡ=2 and ѡ0=sqrt(4)=2
so, the equation to find x_p fails... since ѡ0^2-ѡ^2 =0

I feel like I am just missing something here... anyone want to help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is covered in basic differential equation courses.

1) First find the solution to the homogeneous equation, this is called the complementary solution.

Homogeneous eq:
[tex]x'' + 4x = 0[/tex].

2) Assume that the solution is of the form [tex]x = e^{rt}[/tex], where r is some constant. Then [tex]x'' = r^{2}e^{rt}[/tex].

3) Substitute:
[tex]r^{2}e^{rt} + 4e^{rt} = 0[/tex]
This simplifies to [tex]r^{2} + 4 = 0[/tex] because [tex]e^{rt} > 0[/tex]. Solving this yields r = -2i. This means that the general solution is [tex]x = Asin2t + Bcos2t[/tex], A and B are unknown constants. Using the boundary condition we find that A = 0, B = 0.

4) Now find the solution to your original question by assuming that x is of the form [tex]x = Atsin(2t) + Btcos(2t)[/tex]. This is the particular solution.

5) Differentiate: [tex]x' = Asin(2t) + 2Atcos(2t) + Bcos(2t) - 2Btsin(2t)[/tex]
[tex]x'' = 2Acos(2t) + 2Acos(2t) - 4Atsin(2t) - 2Bsin(2t) - 2Bsin(2t) - 4Btcos(2t)[/tex]
[tex]= 4Acos(2t) - 4Atsin(2t) - 4Bsin(2t) - 4Btcos(2t)[/tex].

6) Plug in: [tex]4Acos(2t) - 4Atsin(2t) - 4Bsin(2t) - 4Btcos(2t) + 4Axsin(2t) + 4Btcos(2t)[/tex]
[tex]= 8sin(2t), 4Acos(2t) - 4Bsin(2t) = 8sin(2t), A = 2, B = 0[/tex]

7) The general solution is the particular solution and complementary solution:
[tex]x = 2tsin(2t)[/tex] (complementary solution was 0)

I think you made an error when finding A and B:

4Acos(2t)-4Bsin(2t) = 8sin(2t)
==> A=0 and B=-2?

So, x_p = -2tcos(2t)?

Yeah I did make that mistake. You can always check your answer by differentiating x and plugging it into the differential equation.

x(t)=-2tcos(2t) is not the correct answer. I checked the problem again and the initial conditions, and they are right.

I remember in class that to find the A and B of the complimentary solution, you wait to apply the initial conditions until after you find the particular solution as well. Like so:

x(t) = -2tcos(2t) + Acos(2t) + Bsin(2t)
x'(t)= 4tsin(2t) - 2cos(2t) - 2Asin(2t) + 2Bcos(2t)

So,
x(0)= 0+A+0=0 ==> A=0
x'(0)= 0-2-2(A)+2B=0
2B=2 ==>B=1

So,
x(t) = -2tcos(2t)+sin(2t)

This answer was correct. Can anyone explain why you have to wait to apply the initial conditions?

If you don't wait you make an error like I did. When I applied the init conditions after solving for the complementary solution it caused the complementary solution to become zero.

What are undamped forced oscillations?

Undamped forced oscillations are a type of motion in which a system oscillates or vibrates with a constant amplitude, without any loss of energy. This type of oscillation occurs when an external force is applied to a system that is already in motion.

What causes undamped forced oscillations?

Undamped forced oscillations are caused by an external force applied to a system that is already in motion. This external force can be in the form of a periodic force, such as a repetitive push or pull, or a non-periodic force, such as a sudden impulse.

What is the difference between undamped and damped forced oscillations?

The main difference between undamped and damped forced oscillations is the amount of energy lost during the oscillations. In undamped forced oscillations, there is no loss of energy and the amplitude remains constant. In damped forced oscillations, there is a loss of energy due to external factors, such as friction or air resistance, causing the amplitude to decrease over time.

How do undamped forced oscillations affect different systems?

Undamped forced oscillations can affect different systems in various ways, depending on the properties of the system. For example, in mechanical systems, undamped forced oscillations can cause resonance, where the amplitude of the oscillations increases significantly. In electrical systems, undamped forced oscillations can cause interference, which can affect the performance of electronic devices.

How can undamped forced oscillations be controlled or minimized?

There are several methods for controlling or minimizing undamped forced oscillations, depending on the system and the external force causing the oscillations. Some methods include using dampers or shock absorbers, changing the frequency of the external force, or adjusting the properties of the system to reduce resonance. Additionally, proper maintenance and design of systems can also help prevent undamped forced oscillations.