Solving Integral: \int{\sqrt{{4-2x^2}}}dx

• Thread starter pa1o
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, Daniel has trouble solving an integral with the euler substitution, and Dextercioby provides a simpler solution.
pa1o
Iam having trouble how to solve

[tex]\int{\sqrt{{4-2x^2}}}dx[/tex]

When I try eulers substitution, the integral gets only terribly complicated and all..

Anyone can help me out with a simple and nice solution ?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about
[tex] \int 2\sqrt{1-(\frac{\sqrt{2}x}{2})^{2}} dx [/tex]

and the substitution
[tex] \frac{\sqrt{2}x}{2}\rightarrow \sin u [/tex]

Daniel.

I would have done it a slightly different way (mostly because I don't like fractions!): factor out a "2" (instead of "4" as dextecioby does) to get
[tex]\sqrt{2}\int\sqrt{2- x^2}dx[/tex]
Now let [itex]x= \sqrt{2}sin(\theta)[/itex] so that [itex]2- x^2[/itex] becomes [itex]2- 2sin^2(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{2- x^2}= \sqrt{2(1- sin^2(\theta)}= \sqrt{2 cos^2(\theta)}= \sqrt{2}cos(\theta)[/itex]. Of course, [itex]dx= \sqrt{2}cos(\theta)[/itex]. You wind up with exactly the same thing as dextercioby's way.

Generally speaking, any time you see something that looks like [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex] you should think "[itex]\sqrt{1- sin^2(\theta)}= cos(\theta)[/itex]

Just a tiny, but rather important correction:
[tex]\sqrt{1-\sin^{2}\theta}}=|\cos\theta|[/tex]

How about stating the domain of "x" in the initial problem??In this case all real axis doesn't pose problems,but it could have been only the positive semiaxis and Halls's post would have been flawless (alambicated,but flawless :tongue2: )...

:tongue:

Daniel.

WOW!
I've just learned a new English word: "alambicated" :smile:
Now, I need to figure out where I can use it..

I vritually translated the word from Romanian ("alambicat") into English,without really knowing it would exist or not.I searched it with google and came up with 2 references...If the endings ".no (Norway?? :tongue2: )" and ".es" (Spain) are correct,then it's a brand new word in the English language...

Daniel.

P.S.I wish i had invented it... :cry:

I found the following definition in an on-line dictionary:
"alembic
n. ancient distilling apparatus; purifying or transforming apparatus or act. alembicate, v.t. distil. alembicated, a. rather too refined (of literary style).

© From the Hutchinson Encyclopaedia.
Helicon Publishing LTD 2000.
All rights reserved."

(Still a new word to me, though :smile:)

dextercioby said:
How about stating the domain of "x" in the initial problem??

wtf why not just leave the | | s ?? :grumpy: it's just a little 1st-year calculus problem. why make things more complicated by doing that

thanks people

THANK YOU all and thank you daniel and all the nice people who helped me :eek:)

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve. It is the inverse of differentiation and is commonly used in calculus.

2. How do I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use the fundamental theorem of calculus and integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. It is important to also identify the limits of integration and any constants present in the integral.

3. How do I approach solving the integral \int{\sqrt{{4-2x^2}}}dx?

To solve this integral, you can use the substitution method by letting u = 2-2x^2. This will simplify the integral to \int{\sqrt{u}}du. Then, you can use the power rule for integration to solve for u, and finally substitute back in for x.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when solving this integral?

Yes, since the integrand contains a square root, you need to be careful when taking the square root of both sides after substitution. You may need to split the integral into two parts, one for the positive square root and one for the negative square root. Additionally, you may need to use trigonometric substitution if the integrand contains a quadratic term.

5. What is the final answer to the integral \int{\sqrt{{4-2x^2}}}dx?

The final answer will depend on the limits of integration. Once you have solved the integral using the appropriate integration techniques, you can then plug in the limits of integration to find the numerical value of the integral. The final answer will be a number or an expression in terms of the original variable x.