Calculating Pressure in a PVC Balloon-Like Object

In summary, the conversation discusses using a PVC balloon-like object to suspend a weight above the ground and how to find the PSI on the walls of the balloon. The pressure can be found by using the equation Pressure = Force/ground contact area, but there is also a discussion on how the addition of half inch plates on the top and bottom of the balloon could affect the spread of pressure. The analogy of a car tyre is also mentioned as a potential solution.
recreated
Hypothetical question to help me in design:

A PVC air tight balloon like object is used to suspend a weight just above the ground. It can be thought of as being very similar to a car tyre's function. The weight is known, the part of the balloons area in contact with the ground is known.
Thus, pressure is found by using ((Pressure = Force/ground contact area) = N/m^2).

From this, how do I find the PSI on the walls of the balloon? It has a cylindrical shape.

Pressure/Surface area of balloon?

Cylinder is thin walled, other than top and bottom which have half inch plates attached, how would they effect the spread of pressure?

Surely the analogy of a car tyre could be used and give near perfect results as it is basically a balloon like object with differing wall thickness? Any relavent links about this in relation to car tyres would be appreciated, I have already searched quite a bit on them.

Thank You.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
recreated: Is this a homework question? You say the cylinder wall is made of PVC, but then you say the cylinder wall acts like a balloon, which would be like an elastomer, such as polychloroprene.

Air pressure, p, inside the cylinder will be the same, throughout the cylinder, on the cylinder wall and end caps. Assuming the cylinder wall is a thin elastomer, and acts like a balloon, I currently think air pressure p = po + (W/A), where po = initial gauge air pressure inside the cylinder (before weight W is applied), W = suspended object weight, A = 0.25*pi*d^2, and d = current cylinder midspan diameter (after weight W is applied).

1. What is the equation for calculating pressure in a PVC balloon-like object?

The equation for calculating pressure in a PVC balloon-like object is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is the force exerted on the balloon, and A is the area of the balloon's surface.

2. How do I measure the force exerted on the balloon?

The force exerted on the balloon can be measured using a force gauge or a spring scale. These tools can be used to measure the amount of force required to inflate the balloon to a certain size.

3. What units should I use to measure pressure in a PVC balloon-like object?

Pressure can be measured in a variety of units, but the most common unit used in scientific calculations is Pascals (Pa). Other units commonly used are atmospheres (atm) and pounds per square inch (psi).

4. How does the thickness of the PVC material affect the pressure inside the balloon?

The thickness of the PVC material can affect the pressure inside the balloon. Thicker material can withstand more force and therefore can hold more air, resulting in a higher pressure inside the balloon. Thinner material may burst at lower pressures.

5. Can the temperature affect the pressure inside a PVC balloon-like object?

Yes, the temperature can affect the pressure inside a PVC balloon-like object. As the temperature increases, the air molecules inside the balloon will have more energy, causing them to move faster and exert more force on the walls of the balloon, resulting in a higher pressure. Similarly, a decrease in temperature will result in a decrease in pressure inside the balloon.