Determining K and Sigma for Underdamped Waveforms

• Thread starter magnifik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Response
In summary, we are trying to determine the values of K, \sigma, \omega, and \varphi from an underdamped waveform with the general form Ke-\sigmatsin(\omegat - \varphi). Using the given information of the waveform graph and the relationship between frequency and time, we can find the values of \omega and \varphi. To determine K and \sigma, we can use the fact that the value at the beginning of the waveform is equal to the value at the end of 2\pi \exp[-\sigma t]. Using this information, we can estimate the values of K and \sigma by setting one of the peaked values equal to a specific value and solving for K.
magnifik
An underdamped waveform has the general form

Ke-[tex]\sigma[/tex]tsin([tex]\omega[/tex]t - [tex]\varphi[/tex])

From the graph, determine K, [tex]\sigma[/tex], [tex]\omega[/tex], and [tex]\varphi[/tex]
2w4mn9s.jpg

i know f = 1/t
t = .004 s
f = 250 Hz
[tex]\omega[/tex] = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]f
[tex]\omega[/tex] = 1570
[tex]\varphi[/tex] is clearly 0

How do i determine K and [tex]\sigma[/tex]??

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting problem. Nothing will ever change the frequency, right? Right.

Take the value after going [tex]2\pi[/tex] and plug in the time that took. Since the [tex]\sin(\omega-\phi[/tex] will be the same, we can write

[tex]\rm{Value}\, \rm{beginning}\,=\rm{Value}\, \rm{end}\, 2\pi \exp[-\sigma t][/tex]

Finding [tex]\kappa[/tex] from the remaining variables should be easy.

blather said:
Interesting problem. Nothing will ever change the frequency, right? Right.

Take the value after going [tex]2\pi[/tex] and plug in the time that took. Since the [tex]\sin(\omega-\phi[/tex] will be the same, we can write

[tex]\rm{Value}\, \rm{beginning}\,=\rm{Value}\, \rm{end}\, 2\pi \exp[-\sigma t][/tex]

Finding [tex]\kappa[/tex] from the remaining variables should be easy.

but isn't the value at the beginning 0?

magnifik said:
An underdamped waveform has the general form

Ke-[tex]\sigma[/tex]tsin([tex]\omega[/tex]t - [tex]\varphi[/tex])

From the graph, determine K, [tex]\sigma[/tex], [tex]\omega[/tex], and [tex]\varphi[/tex]
2w4mn9s.jpg

i know f = 1/t
t = .004 s
f = 250 Hz
[tex]\omega[/tex] = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]f
[tex]\omega[/tex] = 1570
[tex]\varphi[/tex] is clearly 0

How do i determine K and [tex]\sigma[/tex]??

Is there any additional information given in the question? Does it mention what type of circuit the graph is from, or any other parameters?

no, there is nothing else mentioned. it just gives you the general form and the graph of the waveform. the y-axis is current and the x-axis is time in milliseconds.

but isn't the value at the beginning 0?

Right. The zero values don't help much. Pick a pair of peaked values.

I estimated the peak at t = 5 ms is roughly 65 % of the peak at t = 1ms. (.65 is about 0.55/0.85)

0.65 e-[tex]^{\sigma0.001}[/tex] = e-[tex]^{-\sigma0.005}[/tex]

With sigma determined,set the expression for one of the peaks equal to the estimated value at that peak, and get K.

Last edited:
MisterX said:
I estimated the peak at t = 5 ms is roughly 65 % of the peak at t = 1ms. (.65 is about 0.55/0.85)

0.65 e-[tex]^{\sigma0.001}[/tex] = e-[tex]^{-\sigma0.005}[/tex]

With sigma determined,set the expression for one of the peaks equal to the estimated value at that peak, and get K.

using your method i got [tex]\sigma[/tex] = 107.695729
however, the correct answer is [tex]\sigma[/tex] = 140

It was based on an estimation, and I haven't checked your math. I suppose you could get a better estimation using the distance in pixels (maybe rotate the plot level first), or by putting a ruler down on the page, and recalculate based on those measurements. In practical situations, there may be cursors on a digital equipment that can read out exact values. It seems to me like if they want exact value solutions, they should provide you with the exact values for two data points.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of determining K and Sigma for underdamped waveforms?

The purpose of determining K and Sigma for underdamped waveforms is to understand and analyze the behavior of oscillating systems. This information can then be used to make predictions and design systems that can effectively dampen or control these oscillations.

2. How are K and Sigma related in underdamped waveforms?

K and Sigma are related by the equation K = 2ζωn, where ζ is the damping ratio and ωn is the natural frequency of the system. This relationship helps determine the amount of damping present in the system and how it affects the oscillations.

3. What is the significance of the damping ratio in underdamped waveforms?

The damping ratio, represented by ζ, indicates the degree of damping present in the system. A larger damping ratio means the system is more heavily damped and the oscillations will die out quicker. A smaller damping ratio means the system is less damped and the oscillations will persist for a longer period of time.

4. How is the natural frequency related to K and Sigma in underdamped waveforms?

The natural frequency, represented by ωn, is directly proportional to both K and Sigma. As K and Sigma increase, so does the natural frequency. This means that the system will oscillate at a higher frequency, resulting in faster and more energetic oscillations.

5. How can K and Sigma be determined for underdamped waveforms?

K and Sigma can be determined through various methods such as experimental measurements, mathematical calculations, or simulation analysis. These methods involve measuring or calculating the damping ratio and natural frequency, and then using the relationship K = 2ζωn to determine the values of K and Sigma.