How Can I Build a Scanning Tunnelling Microscope for Under $150?

In summary, it seems that the individual is looking for ways to set up an electron tunneling demonstration, and is also seeking advice on how to do it. Additionally, they mention that a Mosfet can have electron tunelling, but it is a bad thing that needs to be minimized.
plxmny
Hi Y'all,

I would like to demonstrate electron tunneling in my Modern Physics lab class.

Does anyone know of how to set such an experiment up?

We have a lot of equipment and $$$ available, so that's not a problem.

I don't want to ask the prof beforehand because he's kinda dumb.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't think of anything that would be all flashy since this is higly microscopic. You could do it with a zerner diode.

You might consider doing "microwave tunneling" instead:

http://it.stlawu.edu/~koon/classes/221.222/222L/Tunnel.html

You can google microwave tunneling to get more hits and info.

As for electron tunneling, I think you'd need to have access to at least a basic (small) semiconductor fabrication lab in order to make something for a demo. Does your school have an experimental fab?

Thank you very much for both of your replies.

I have seen the "photon tunneling on your kitchen table". Someone else is doing that.

Yes, we have access to a semiconductor fabrication lab! Just tell me what you have in mind and I can get it rolling!

Quiz question -- what common electronic components use electron tunelling in their funtion? (and which would be the simplest to fab?)

The average answer seems to be "tunneling diode" but it is difficult to see how one could demonstrate tunneling with such a device - other than to point at it and say "there's tunnelin' in that thar device!" ;)

berkeman said:
Quiz question -- what common electronic components use electron tunelling in their funtion? (and which would be the simplest to fab?)
A Mosfet can have electron tunelling but I think it was a bad thing that needed to be minimized.

plxmny said:
Hi Y'all,

I would like to demonstrate electron tunneling in my Modern Physics lab class.

Does anyone know of how to set such an experiment up?

We have a lot of equipment and $$$ available, so that's not a problem.

Do you have an oscilloscope?
Build a Scanning Tunnelling Microscope.:eek:

Here's how to do it for 100 bucks...well, OK, $150. (Yes, you can create atomic images...)

http://www.geocities.com/spm_stm/Project.html

Creator:biggrin:

Last edited:
RandallB said:
A Mosfet can have electron tunelling but I think it was a bad thing that needed to be minimized.

...except in at least one very important application in electronics...

If you could tunnel charge onto, say, a floating gate of a MOSFET, what practical use could that be... ?

Creator said:
Do you have an oscilloscope?
Build a Scanning Tunnelling Microscope.:eek:

Here's how to do it for 100 bucks...well, OK, $150. (Yes, you can create atomic images...)

http://www.geocities.com/spm_stm/Project.html

Creator:biggrin:

Thanks, Creator - I will definitely check that out! I appreciate your help!:smile:

(Amazing how many non-answers I get on these silly forums)

What is an undergrad lab experiment?

An undergrad lab experiment is a practical hands-on activity designed for undergraduate students to apply and reinforce concepts learned in a specific scientific field. It typically involves conducting experiments, collecting data, and analyzing results in a laboratory setting.

What is the purpose of an undergrad lab experiment?

The purpose of an undergrad lab experiment is to provide students with a deeper understanding of scientific concepts through hands-on experience. It also helps students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and technical skills that are essential for a career in science.

How are undergrad lab experiments different from regular lab experiments?

Undergrad lab experiments are specifically designed for undergraduate students, whereas regular lab experiments are conducted by professional scientists or graduate students. Undergrad lab experiments are also simpler and more structured, with a focus on teaching fundamental concepts rather than original research.

What are the key components of an undergrad lab experiment?

The key components of an undergrad lab experiment include a clear objective or research question, a detailed procedure, data collection and analysis, and a conclusion. It may also involve a literature review, background research, and a discussion of the results and their significance.

What are the benefits of participating in an undergrad lab experiment?

Participating in an undergrad lab experiment can provide students with valuable skills and experiences that can enhance their academic and professional development. It also allows students to apply theoretical knowledge to real-world situations and gain a deeper understanding of scientific concepts.