Undergrad Math School

1. Jan 12, 2011 #1
    I'm nearing the end of highschool and am looking for a college/university for my undergraduate studies. I am planning to major in Mathematics with a concentraion in secondary education. I only have two schools on my list to consider/apply, they are EIU and UIC (because good teachers I know have attended these schools), however, I would like to expand the list so that I have a wider selection to choose from. Any suggestions for good undergraduate math education schools?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2011 #2
    anywhere in the world?

4. Jan 12, 2011 #3
    Yes, the location of the school doesn't matter to me.

5. Jan 12, 2011 #4
    Um i think he really means anywhere in the world that has a math program. Just go to the university close to your house

6. Jan 13, 2011 #5
    Haha thats not what I meant.

MIT and the University of Waterloo are prestigious schools for math in North America.

7. Jan 13, 2011 #6
    Although it doesn't matter as much where you go for undergrad, I guess I'll just list the most prestigious/top math undergrads for you to keep in mind: Harvard, Berkeley, Princeton, MIT, U of Chicago, Caltech, Stanford, UCLA, Yale, etc.

EDIT: Also, note that you should probably go to a different university for graduate school if you intend to do that. This means that if you want to try out both a public + private university for a wider spectrum, try a public university undergrad and private grad. That's my plan anyways.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  8. Jan 13, 2011 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

If you want a degree in math *education*, I would not be going to MIT, and probably not any of the high-powered schools listed. I would go to a liberal arts school that has a program in it.

9. Jan 13, 2011 #8
    Both UCLA and Berkeley have math teaching programs housed in the math department.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?