1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergrad Physics Collection

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    As a long-time lurker, I have really been enjoying being able to find advice regarding good physics books for an undergrad student. However, I am looking for advice on a set of books that would be adequate for self-teaching enough physics that I could basically learn what a "normal" undergrad would. I know it's not ideal, but I am at a university studying math, and my school only has up through algebra-based mechanics (and I think E&M). If I could transfer in an affordable way I would, but currently it looks like I will be staying here.

I have a decent math background, having taken Linear Algebra, Calc 1 & 2, and I am taking Number Theory and Prob & Stats now. Since I am majoring in math, a year from now I expect to have Multivariable, Modern Geometry, Abstract Algebra, and more Prob & Stats. Here's a quick list of subjects I am looking for books on:

-Thermodynamics / Statistical Mechanics (Do these belong in the same category?)
    -Atomic Physics
    -Special Relativity
    -(possibly?) General Relativity
    -ODEs
    -PDEs

These are textbooks I already have access to:

-Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by A.C. Phillips (I have worked approximately halfway through, and I'm fairly satisfied with the book)
    -Quantum Mechanics by Zettili
    -Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths (plus a solution manual)
    -Optics by Hecht
    -Classical Mechanics by Taylor

I found those texts through recommendations on these forums, as they seem to be standard and well-received. Is this a sufficient list? Are there any switches (or additions) I should make with the books I've found already?

Thank you in advance- it's great to know I have the opportunity to get advice from others who have continued in physics!

*Disclaimer: I know learning on my own is not as good as a formal education; this is the best I can manage for the time being, and I am satisfied with what I can do through individual study.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted