1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergrad Physics Programs

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I'm currently a junior in high school looking for the best undergrad physics program based off of my grades. Just to give you an idea:

GPA:

Unweighted: 3.3-3.5
    Weighted:Not sure

Extracurriculars: Did some research with Physics teacher, and some research with Math teacher (differential geometry), self-teaching Astrophysics 1(which is why my GPA is low...sadly)

SAT:
    2010 ( 750 M, 600 CR, 660 W)

I've been looking at OSU, UoA, and University of Illinois-U&C. I feel like I've been looking at universities that are somewhat of safeties. Are there any other great undergrad physics programs that I should be looking at?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2009 #2
    If you are doing differential geometry research and can get good letters of recommendation, then I'd at least pick two big name schools (i.e. MIT/Harvard/Caltech/Princeton). You don't lose anything except a few dollars, and you might get lucky.

One thing that would be useful is if you can mention in great detail exactly what you are studying in your statement of purpose, and if you can get someone to include your self-study in the letters of recommendation that would be very, very useful.

4. Dec 1, 2009 #3
    Yeah my physics teacher and my math teacher both will write extensive and detailed recommendation letters. Thanks for the information as well.

5. Dec 1, 2009 #4
    For MIT, I think you can write an optional paper about your research/project. I think that'll definitely help your chances! I'm doing something similar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook