Undergrad Physics Credits in US: ECTS Requirements

In summary, ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) requirements for undergraduate physics credits in the US vary between universities and typically one ECTS credit is equivalent to 0.5-1 US credit. For graduation with a physics degree in the US, most undergraduate programs require between 120-128 credits, equivalent to 240-256 ECTS credits. ECTS credits earned in the US can be transferred to a university in Europe, but it is up to the receiving institution to determine if they will accept the credits. ECTS credits and US credits are generally considered equivalent in terms of workload and difficulty, but requirements and expectations may vary. Whether ECTS credits can be used to fulfill general education requirements in the US depends on the
stephan.albus
Dear Sirs,

I would like to ask you one question. Reply greatly appreciated.
Do you know how many (European) ECTS credits does an undergraduate education
in physics, in US entail?? or maybe you have some documents regarding this?

thanks for attention.

Physics news on Phys.org
stephan.albus said:
Dear Sirs,

I would like to ask you one question. Reply greatly appreciated.
Do you know how many (European) ECTS credits does an undergraduate education
in physics, in US entail?? or maybe you have some documents regarding this?

thanks for attention.
4 years would correspond to 240 ECTS, while in Europe you usually do it in 3 years or 180 ECTS.

1. What are ECTS requirements for undergraduate physics credits in the US?

ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) requirements vary between universities in the US, but typically one ECTS credit is equivalent to 0.5-1 US credit. A typical undergraduate physics course is worth 3-4 US credits, which would translate to 6-8 ECTS credits.

2. How many ECTS credits do I need to graduate with a physics degree in the US?

The number of ECTS credits required for graduation with a physics degree in the US depends on the specific program and university. However, most undergraduate physics programs in the US require between 120-128 credits to graduate, which would be equivalent to 240-256 ECTS credits.

3. Can I transfer ECTS credits earned at a university in the US to a university in Europe?

It is possible to transfer ECTS credits earned at a university in the US to a university in Europe, but it is up to the receiving institution to determine if they will accept the credits. It is recommended to check with the specific university beforehand to confirm their credit transfer policy.

4. Are ECTS credits and US credits equivalent in terms of workload and difficulty?

It is generally accepted that ECTS credits and US credits are equivalent in terms of workload and difficulty. However, the specific requirements and course expectations may vary between universities and countries.

5. Can I use ECTS credits earned in a physics course to fulfill general education requirements in the US?

This depends on the specific university and their credit transfer policy. Some universities may allow ECTS credits earned in a physics course to fulfill general education requirements, while others may only accept US credits. It is best to check with the university beforehand to confirm their policy.