1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergrad reasearch placement.

1. Jan 30, 2006 #1
    I'm mid-way through my second year (I'm in UK) in physics (not that this stuff makes a whole lot of difference, but it's background) and i'm about to apply for a sponsorship for a short work-placement in the department of a local University over the summer. To apply, I need to hand a CV in and write a short paragraph on why I want to get the placement.

Basically, I'm open for tips on what to write for my short paragraph. Obviously I'm heavily interested in what I do, so thats a place to start - I can talk about that and continue with my reading/fasctination with journals etc but i'm just wondering if theres any ideas for something extra.

Also, when they say CV (the obvious thing here would be to ask them but..well, I didn't and I won't be in contact for a short while) are they expecting a fully-laid out history including professional past and all current qualifications? I'm guessing yes on this one.

Anyway, any contributions appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2006 #2
    Can your careers centre help, with practise CVs etc.? I would make it a technical one regarding what *relevant* modules you've done, and the *specific* skills you've learnt in them, that kind of thing. Don't worry too much about work experience, it's probably not relevant. Don't make it more than 2-3 sides long.

You can probably tell them a lot more in your CV than a short paragraph. Your ideas for this I think are fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?