Exploring Grad School Options: Theory vs. Experiment in Undergrad Research

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether doing undergraduate research is necessary for pursuing a grad school degree in theory or math. The response suggests that while it is not mandatory, it can provide valuable skills and insights into the research process. It also mentions the possibility of contributing through calculations or programming.
ice109
im pretty sure i want to do theory in grad school because i don't like experiment. so i don't really want to do undergrad research that involves turning knobs and righting down numbers. nor am i able to contribute to a theory group. what am i to do? would research in math be sufficient? do i really have to do undergrad research?

Physics news on Phys.org
ice109 said:
im pretty sure i want to do theory in grad school because i don't like experiment. so i don't really want to do undergrad research that involves turning knobs and righting down numbers. nor am i able to contribute to a theory group. what am i to do? would research in math be sufficient? do i really have to do undergrad research?

You don't have to do anything. However I'm sure grad schools would like to see proof that you will be a productive researcher, be it theoretical or based on lab findings. Your graduate research does not need to be related to any undergrad projects. Find a professor who's involved in something that is even close to your interests and see if he/she would like an assistant.

ice109 said:
any kind of undergraduate research helps in the bigger picture. remember you won't be learning just what you are apparently doing (eg. learning how to turn the knots on the CRO or how to enter data in Excel), what is more valuable is to understand the process of research: the thinking through, the ability to tackle unexpected challenges, the skills in analysis, making rational decisions when you can't do everything and when things turn out to be non-ideal, how to communicate your results to others, how to work as in a small team etc.

besides more general knowledge doesn't hurt. A good ideas can come from anywhere... usually places you least expect! good luck

I'm just going into my fourth year of a Physics degree and I'm currently doing undergrad research. Take it from me, it''s incredibly valuable. Even if it's nothing to with your desired PhD, there is so much else to learn! You get so many valuable insights into life AS a scientist. Your work will probably be minor, but that isn't really the point of it!

While you mentioned possible experimental and theoretical contributions from an undergraduate doing research, another way is to help do calculations, analytically or computationally (possibly using tools like Java, C++, Python, or Maple).

1. What is the difference between theory and experiment in undergraduate research?

Theory in undergraduate research involves using existing knowledge and concepts to develop hypotheses and predictions about a certain topic or phenomenon. Experiment, on the other hand, involves conducting hands-on experiments to test those hypotheses and collect data.

2. How do I decide between pursuing theory or experiment in grad school?

This decision ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you are more interested in developing new ideas and theories, then pursuing theory in grad school may be the better option for you. If you prefer hands-on work and collecting data, then experiment may be a better fit.

3. Can I combine theory and experiment in my undergraduate research?

Absolutely! In fact, many undergraduate research projects involve a combination of both theory and experiment. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of a topic and can lead to more impactful results.

4. Are there certain fields or disciplines that are more theory-focused or experiment-focused?

While there may be some general trends, it ultimately depends on the specific research being conducted. Some fields, such as physics and biology, may have a stronger emphasis on experiment, while fields like philosophy and sociology may have a stronger emphasis on theory. However, this can vary greatly within each discipline.

5. How can I prepare for grad school if I am unsure which path to take?

If you are unsure about pursuing theory or experiment in grad school, it is important to gain experience in both areas during your undergraduate research. This will allow you to better understand your interests and strengths, and make a more informed decision when it comes to pursuing graduate studies.