Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergrad Research

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    I'm a sophomore attending university and I'm wondering about undergrad research.
    It's currently like the 7th or 8th week out of a 15 week semester. Is it too late for me to try to get a professor/grad student to let me help research with them? Now that I've got my schedule a little more open, I could spare 10 hours per week doing something, but now I am feeling that it's a little too late for me to pursue anything.

After spring break there will only be a week left in March and then it's just April and May, so that's not really a whole lot of time.

P.S. I definitely can't afford to stay in the city during the summer, so unfortunately research during the summer seems to be out of the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
    Research tends to be a slow process. I found that even doing 6 months of research part time as an undergrad gave me barely enough content to submit 1 paper for publication, granted one thing I did for 6 weeks didn't turn out well.

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3

Doesn't hurt to ask does it? Maybe you could even research at home during the summer.

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4
    Go ask. Doing research should be completely on the side, so it doesn't matter when you start.

I worked for one of my professors in fall quarter, and continued working in winter quarter, with the caveat being "Give me some time to adjust to the new quarter. Like a week or so."

He was very understanding, so you shouldn't be afraid to ask that to your professors, too.

6. Mar 4, 2008 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree with the other posters here. I can't hurt to ask. Plus, you may secure yourself a spot helping in the lab for next semester.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook