Undergrad Research: Get into Prestigious Grad School ASAP

In summary: But if you're looking to get paid for your time, you'll need to find a way to get started sooner rather than later.
Jstew
I'll be a freshman in the fall studying physics, math, and astronomy. A guy from my old HS is a master's degree student at my university, and he hooked me up with a job in an experimental particle physics lab. Basically he said that it's up to me to talk to grad students and professors and figure out something to do if I want to do research in addition to getting paid to just sit around. I'd like to get into a prestigious grad school, so does anyone have suggestions for how to use this opportunity to start doing research ASAP? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask someone in the lab if there is some project where they need an extra hand. (There definitely will be.) You may need to spend time learning new skills, such as programming before you can make a big contribution, but don't be discouraged by that. The fact that you'll be working in a physics lab from day 1 of your college career puts you ahead of most people in your position.

If you're just starting research now, you probably won't have time to do anything too special before the Fall semester starts. However, you should go see your supervisor, and have him tell you about his research, and tell him you'd like to participate / learn more about it. You'll probably be doing about half reading, half learning about the experiments being done, the instruments used, etc. And talk to as many people as you can, as they might be hiring in future terms.

How much experience do you have in something like computer programming or using tools? You don't know much about physics yet (I'm just guessing based on you just starting college), but you might be able to help out with some programming or if they need something built.

They're not going to expect you to pick up your own research project at this point. Talk to the people in the lab about joining their group for the year, and see what you can do for them. At the least, you could probably learn how to run samples or something similar (remembering all the condensed matter talks I've ever heard). Take a computer science course this year if you haven't already.

I was a computer technician for two years in HS, so I'm quite proficient with computers. I'm not comfortable writing code from scratch, but I'm usually able to modify code if I need to change something small-ish. Is this level of proficiency useful, or is it more all-or-nothing with programming?

I was wondering what the best method would be to approach a Professor about volunteering in their lab or volunteering at some hospitals or other labs outside school. I am in my second year and I will only now (my school wasted my first year due to it being purely general) learn about methods and techniques used in my career most probably.

Should I ask for an appointment to speak with them, should I try and find work like this only during the summer or would during school year be great as well.

Just send em an email and tell then what you're looking for. If you don't mind working for free during the year, I'm sure someone will want to have you (hey, everyone likes free labour).

1. What is undergrad research and why is it important?

Undergrad research is a form of academic investigation that involves conducting original research, usually with the guidance of a faculty mentor. It is important because it allows students to gain hands-on experience in their field of study, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and contribute to the advancement of knowledge in their field.

2. How can undergrad research help me get into a prestigious grad school?

Graduate schools often look for applicants with research experience, as it demonstrates an ability to independently conduct research and contribute to the field. Undergrad research can also help you develop relationships with faculty mentors who can provide strong letters of recommendation for your grad school applications.

3. What steps should I take to get involved in undergrad research?

The first step is to identify your research interests and find a faculty mentor who shares those interests. You can do this by reaching out to professors in your department, attending research seminars, and utilizing resources such as your school's undergraduate research office. Once you have a mentor, you can work with them to develop a research project and secure any necessary funding.

4. Is it necessary to have prior experience or skills for undergrad research?

No, it is not necessary to have prior experience or skills for undergrad research. It is more important to have a strong interest in the subject and a willingness to learn. Your faculty mentor will provide guidance and training as needed.

5. Can undergrad research be done in any field of study?

Yes, undergrad research can be done in any field of study. Many universities have research opportunities available in a variety of disciplines, including STEM fields, social sciences, and humanities. It is important to find a research project that aligns with your interests and career goals.