1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergrad Research

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    I'll be finishing up my freshman year shortly and want to get involved in research as early as possible, in order to establish relationships/connections and to make myself a more appealing grad school candidate in the future. My question is: Is it acceptable to simply contact a researcher at my university and offer him/her my services, or is this likely to get me ignored? I would make it clear that I am volunteering to work entirely without charge, and am prepared to do whatever slave-work they happen to assign me, however petty or tedious. The work experience is all I'm after. Is this likely to get me a position? Any other words of advice?

EDIT: I should note that of the researchers I am considering approaching, I am familiar with and genuinely interested in their work, having read some of their publications.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No problem. That's how it's done.

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3
    It is likely to get you ignored. However, it *is* how it is done. Keep trying different professors, and I'm sure you'll find one to take you on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook