Undergrad Research: Overcome Intimidation & Enjoy

In summary: In general, if you're invested in the project and trying to learn, you're probably doing better than if you're just there for the paycheck.In summary, the professor is expecting you to be interested and enthusiastic, but you don't have to know everything to be useful. If you're an undergrad looking to do some research, don't worry - there are a lot of ways to be useful without having to know everything.
w3390
Hi guys,

This summer I am looking to get involved in research at my university. I am eager to go and meet with a professor to see if I can hold a position for him, but I am very intimidated and I sometimes feel like I don't know enough to contribute to a research team. I have been told, however, that everyone else in the physics program is in a similar situation and I shouldn't worry so much and just apply for a position and have fun.

Have any of you guys been in a situation similar to mine and, if so, how did you get past the intimidation and how was your experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry, you're not expected to know anything. Keep in mind that they're doing you a favor if they take you on; undergrads are almost never actually useful as research assistants but do take up a ton of time. However, that's not to say you shouldn't plan to slack off or not try at all. They expect you to be interested and enthusiastic - nothing's worse than a sullen research assistant who never shows up on time or accomplishes what they're asked to do.

Yeah that's what I don't get. I'm also an undergrad looking to do some research. It doesn't make sense for us to try to uncover something new when we haven't even learned what is known (i.e. the undergrad curriculum) but how do we go about trying to "assist" someone?

Doe anyone have any actual research experience? Like the guys above said, what can you actually do with only a couple years of undergraduate education?

WatermelonPig said:
Yeah that's what I don't get. I'm also an undergrad looking to do some research. It doesn't make sense for us to try to uncover something new when we haven't even learned what is known (i.e. the undergrad curriculum) but how do we go about trying to "assist" someone?

Because the professor has better things to do then mix a chemical for 4 hours straight when they can just trick an undergrad into doing it for free.

And I'm serious. Not every single thing that needs to be done in a research program requires a phd in physics to do. There is a lot of mindless busy work that has to be done sometimes.

I did 4 undergrad research projects as an undergrad. One of them ended up with an acknowledgment in a paper, the other as co-author (2nd of 3). If the professor has something very specific planned out for you, a piece of a project which it is possible to complete in a few months and learn all that's necessary to do it and you work hard, it is possible to be somewhat useful. However, that part of the paper that took me two months to do could have been done by my adviser in about a day. I find the same thing is true when I have students working for me (in grad school and into my postdoc). Some mentors will have something specific for you, some will have vague project ideas that never amount to anything, and someone might just have you doing lab work (from growing samples to cleaning).

1. How can I find opportunities for undergrad research?

There are several ways to find opportunities for undergrad research. You can start by talking to your professors or academic advisors about ongoing research projects in your field of interest. You can also check your university's website for research programs or browse through science journals to see if any researchers are looking for undergraduate assistants.

2. What if I don't have any prior research experience?

Not having prior research experience is completely fine. Many undergraduate research opportunities are designed for students with little or no research experience. You can also look for research projects that offer training or mentoring for beginners.

3. How do I approach a professor to ask for a research position?

When approaching a professor for a research position, it's important to be respectful and professional. Start by introducing yourself and expressing your interest in their research. Be specific about why you are interested in their work and how your skills and interests align with their research. Ask if they have any open positions for undergraduate research assistants and if they would be willing to meet with you to discuss further.

4. What challenges should I expect in undergrad research?

Undergrad research can be challenging, but it is also a rewarding experience. Some common challenges include time management, learning new techniques, and dealing with setbacks in experiments. It's important to stay organized, communicate with your mentor, and be open to learning and adapting to new situations.

5. How can I make the most out of my undergrad research experience?

To make the most out of your undergrad research experience, it's important to set goals and communicate them with your mentor. Take initiative and be proactive in your work, ask questions, and learn new skills. Attend conferences and present your research, and network with other researchers and professionals in your field. This will not only enhance your research experience but also help you build your resume and prepare for future opportunities.