Undergrad Research: Finding the Right Professor

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding an undergraduate research opportunity at the university. The speaker shares their experience of researching and narrowing down potential professors to email for opportunities. They also seek advice on how to approach the professors and what to include in the email. The summary highlights the suggestion of requesting a face-to-face meeting to discuss research opportunities and the importance of being upfront about interests and goals. It also advises against emailing the entire department and suggests starting with one or two professors. Additionally, it mentions the potential of a retired professor forwarding the email to a relevant group and the advice to keep the initial email short and polite, including a curriculum vitae if available.
Physicsguy18
The university I go to offers a lot of undergrad research opportunities and I am currently trying to get one. I read about every physics professor in the department that does research and then I read some of their papers and researched them some more. I narrowed it down to a group of about five professors, but I still plan on emailing majority of the department. My question is though, do I send them an email and tell them things about myself like a job resumé or what do I include in the email?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best bet is to email them asking for a time (15-30 mins) to meet face to face to discuss research opportunities.
If you want to add more, they will likely be interested in knowing what your goals are and how much time you plan on committing.
Most people I know would much rather discuss potential work/research relationships in person.

If I were you, I'd e-mail your five first, and then if none of those pan out, work on some others. E-mailing the entire department is maybe not a good idea.

When I was a freshman looking to do research, I e-mailed a professor who was apparently retired. He then forwarded my e-mail to the group I work with now, so it's possible that this may happen to you as well. I wouldn't personally recommend emailing more than one professor at a time, just in case the website isn't updated or some such.

I agree with Dishsoap.

Spamming a department is not a way to make a good first impression. And what happens if you get five different professors emailing you back? Start by talking to one or two. Be upfront about what your interests are and ask them for advice. As Dishsoaop said that can often lead you to where you want to be.

As far as content of the initial email, I would keep it short and polite. Explain that you're an Nth year student and give them your program. Explain your interests and goals and that you're interested in that particular professor's research. A curriculum vitae (academic resume) helps.

He sounds like a first or second year student, he probably doesn't have anything to put on a CV except for maybe special projects.

I am about to start my second year so I don't really have anything to put on an academic resume but I appreciate all the advice

What is undergraduate research?

Undergraduate research refers to the process of conducting original research as a student at the undergraduate level. This involves working with a faculty mentor to develop a research project and gaining hands-on experience in the research process.

Why is it important to find the right professor for undergraduate research?

Finding the right professor for undergraduate research is important because they will serve as your mentor and guide throughout the research process. They will provide you with valuable knowledge, skills, and resources to help you succeed in your research project.

How do I find the right professor for undergraduate research?

There are a few ways to find the right professor for undergraduate research. You can start by looking at the research interests and publications of professors in your field of interest. You can also talk to your academic advisor or other faculty members for recommendations. Additionally, attending research seminars and conferences can help you connect with potential mentors.

What qualities should I look for in a professor for undergraduate research?

When looking for a professor for undergraduate research, it is important to consider their research expertise, availability, and communication style. You should also look for someone who is approachable, supportive, and has a good track record of mentoring undergraduate students.

What should I expect from my professor during undergraduate research?

Your professor should provide guidance and support throughout the research process, including helping you develop a research question, providing resources and materials, and giving feedback on your progress. They should also facilitate opportunities for you to present your research and help you prepare for graduate school or future careers.