Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergrad Thesis Topics

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    Hi, I'm currently selecting my 4th year undergrad thesis design (its all technical/theoretical no hands on work). A couple of the topics given strike my fancy, but I'm particularly interested in Nuclear and Particle Physics of which they're are few topics given for us to choose from. We are allowed to present our own thesis topics however.

Sooo, I've looked around a bit and havn't found too much besides possibly some topics on bubble chambers or other particle detectors (or particle beams) and such. Might anyone have any suggestions (on general topic ideas)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2
    How much physics have you had?

What level of thesis is this supposed to be? Are you expected to undertake original research?

An interesting one might be: (if you have had a semester of QFT)

Quantize this field equation (hbar=c=1):
    [tex] (\Box^2 - m^2) \psi = 0 [/tex]

Determine if it obeys causality (do the field operators at space-like separated points commute)?. What happens to this field if you pump energy into it?

Just an idea off the top of my head that might be fun at your level.

4. Sep 13, 2007 #3
    haha, definitely not at my level. I'm in my last year of my undergrad in engineering physics, Ive taken quantum theories up to perturbation, nuclear & particle physics, physics of nuclear reactors, general relativity, E & M (not covariant/relativist formalism) classical mechanics (lagrangian), tons o math, taking solid state physics, will be taking advanced quantum (not second quantitization i believe) and nano science,
    (thats just a list of my upper tier physics courses)

It's more of a design/technical (engineering) thesis (designing some apparatus etc but not building it).

5. Sep 13, 2007 #4
    Well...

You might consider requesting this be moved to the Engineering forum then. Especially if you are looking to do more of a nuclear engineering project.

6. Sep 13, 2007 #5
    oh no, I'm much more interested in doing something along the lines of particle physics, like some component or some form of detector and an analysis of it.

I suppose you could argue this should be in the engineering section....

7. Sep 13, 2007 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

maybe you can check something out of the Babar decector, that is searching for CP violation i B-meson decay?

8. Sep 13, 2007 #7
    An analysis of a detector can be a huge undertaking. Have a look at the computer codes GEANT4, FLUKA, and MCNPX. These are computer codes used in detector validation.

9. Sep 14, 2007 #8
    How about an alternative mechanism for 'splitting' a given Ryberg atom. (I am totally just freeballing, by the way)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  10. Sep 14, 2007 #9
    This one I just thought of---it may be a bit over your head, but if you have a few months to work on it, it would give you some good experience.

Suppose you could build an accelerator at the Planck scale and preform a scattering experiment, and that string theory was right. What would the experimental signatures look like? You'd also have to assume that you could SEE the states being produced, but it might be interesting to learn a few things.

Basically, you'd have to figure out what the kaluza klein states would look like in ten dimensions. My guess is that much of this analysis has already been done by the ADD gravity people, but your mode spacing would be a bit different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?