Undergrad: What are Research Procedures supposed to be?

In summary: You did a great job of summarizing the content. In summary, the student is trying to find procedures to follow for an experiment. They found a template from Durham that was excellent, and they also found guidelines from Ohio State.
Michael Sullivan
I am starting some undergraduate research with Cs-137 and Co-60 gamma-ray shielding. I'm looking for gamma-ray attenuation as well as energy spectra of the gamma-rays through backscattering and a NaI scintillation counter.
I wrote an abstract, designed the testing equipment and set-up and what not, but I don't really know what I am supposed to write as far as procedures. I wrote up step-by-step procedures of what I will physically be doing as well as what each step is attempting to accomplish. My professor just told me that I don't have enough detail and that I should rewrite them.
Could anyone explain what "Experiment Procedures" are supposed to be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, cool! Thankyou, I appreciate it. I tried to google it but didn't really know what I was looking for, so even if I stumbled on something good, I didn't know if it applied to my situation. I haven't found anything on my universities website, but I'll try to dig deeper.

Michael Sullivan said:
Okay, cool! Thankyou, I appreciate it. I tried to google it but didn't really know what I was looking for, so even if I stumbled on something good, I didn't know if it applied to my situation. I haven't found anything on my universities website, but I'll try to dig deeper.
Doesn't your prof, or other profs in the dept, have copies of what other students have written in the past? That's usually a good place to start.

My prof is extremely busy and trying to get anything from him is very difficult. I can ask a few of the others, I just hadn't wanted to yet.

I found the template from Durham excellent, and the British are generally quite good at setting standards. At least it provides you a list of topics to compare your work with, in case you don't want to follow the given structure.

1. What is the purpose of research procedures in undergrad?

Research procedures in undergrad serve as a systematic approach to conducting research and gathering evidence to answer a research question or test a hypothesis.

2. How do research procedures differ from other types of procedures?

Research procedures are specifically designed for the purpose of conducting research, while other types of procedures may be used for a variety of purposes such as following a protocol or completing a task.

3. What are the key components of research procedures?

The key components of research procedures include identifying a research question or hypothesis, choosing a research design and methodology, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the results.

4. How do research procedures help ensure the validity and reliability of research findings?

By following a systematic approach, research procedures help to eliminate bias and ensure that the results obtained are accurate and reliable. They also allow for replication of the study by others to confirm the findings.

5. Are research procedures the same for all types of research?

No, research procedures may vary depending on the field of study and the type of research being conducted. For example, qualitative research may use different procedures than quantitative research.