1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergraduate Guidance

1. Aug 31, 2006 #1

acm

Considering taking a undergraduate BSci in mathematics. My ability is not stellar, I attain fairly good grades and take the top levels but I haven't competed in competitions such as Olympiad, etc. My question is: Should I or Shouldn't I major in mathematics?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your performance in high school often has little correlation with your performance in university. The study habits required of you in university are probably radically different from those required of you in high school.

The most important question you should ask yourself is: Do I like mathematics enough to spend four years immersed in it? If the answer is yes, then you should, by all means, major in math.

Keep in mind that you can always change it later if you decide it's not for you. If you change your major in the first couple of years, there's essentially no penalty.

- Warren

4. Sep 1, 2006 #3

J77

Don't worry about high school scores/competitions/olympiads/hierarchies... like above: university maths is completely different.

You find a lot of people who were top at their high school, fall short when it comes to learning university maths - and vice versa.

You can't tell until you start.

All I would say is that you have to find high school maths easy - but don't worry about not having a medal :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?