1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergraduate physics college

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1
    what are the top public universities for undergraduate physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2013 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "top"? Top in the league tables? If you believe in league tables, did you try searching for them?

4. Apr 6, 2013 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

In which nation?

5. Apr 7, 2013 #4
    I'm pretty sure he's assuming the US.

6. Apr 8, 2013 #5
    Well there are very few undergraduate rankings, but I have always thought that grad school rankings are a reasonable proxy given that they indicate the community's regard for the school and research activity.

From US News and World Report ranking of top physics schools (private schools excluded)

1. Berkeley
    2. Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
    3. UC Santa Barbara
    4. Michigan - Anne Arbor
    6. UC San Diego = Maryland - College Park = Texas - Austin
    9. Wisconsin - Madison
    10. UCLA = Colorado - Boulder = Washington
    11. Ohio State = Penn State = Stony Brook

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-science-schools/physics-rankings

7. Apr 9, 2013 #6
    Why would you care for an undergraduate ranking in Physics?

Don't you think graduate school matters more than undergraduate in physics? If your research is good enough and GPA, PGRE, more than likely you will get into most competitive schools (my assumption from what I have been reading recently).

But I'd like to hear others who know a few things here, does undergrad. even matter (physics)? (Of course, I and assuming the OP aren't going to any hole in the wall schools that are sketchy and in the top 50)

8. Apr 12, 2013 #7
    @gsmith Thankyou
    Yea US And Canada

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook