1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergraduate physics

  1. Aug 16, 2008 #1
    im not asking for the top ten but for a decent list of mid-level schools. im planning on grad school so i want to have a good amount of REU's completed.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2008 #2
    Research experience shouldn't be isolated to a program, if you're actually passionate about it. Personally, I'd stick with a small program that would have professors interested in having undergrads research. That's just my idea, if I were to restart my life and be a Physics major.
  4. Aug 16, 2008 #3
    as they say, its never to late ;)

    do you know in particular of any school off the top of your head?
  5. Aug 17, 2008 #4
    Knowing what state you're from would help, because your in-state public universities would be a good starting point.

    I will disagree with kingdomof a bit, though, and say that it may be better to attend a teaching-focused institution and to pick up your research experience through summer REUs.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  6. Aug 17, 2008 #5

    I live in NJ. I really don't want to go to Rutgers, though.
  7. Aug 17, 2008 #6
    Well, I'm in an "Honors College" program, where it was easy to place me with a researcher. I'm also a Biochem person, so I can sort of handle an hour wait between steps in a lab protocol and study/read. It really depends if you're so passionate about research, that you'd be willing to go that far.

    One of the schools I applied to, Allegheny College, might pique your interest. I was more interested in the Neuroscience/Biochem faculty, however. You also would want to check out CUNY's Macaulay Honors College program. Some of the colleges offer free housing and whatnot, also they're focused on setting science majors up with researcher. That's what I'm doing. RPI is a very competitive school for research, but it's a very nice place. Rose-Hulman might be another good choice for you. Like I said earlier, I don't know much about Physics.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  8. Aug 17, 2008 #7


    User Avatar

    Universities with graduate programs have more professors focused on research, but tend to give most of their time and projects to graduate students. Smaller colleges will have smaller departments, but the professors are still doing research and now they don't have graduate students. I attended a small liberal arts college and did 3 REUs, including one of the top programs in the country. You can study physics almost anywhere and then go on to graduate school. Find a college you like, in a place you want to live, that has a prof or two working in a field that interests you.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook