1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergraduate QM/QP books?

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    Hey guys, just wondering whether anybody knows of any good, clear books on quantum mechanics for a 1st year undergrad that would take me through my whole 4 year course - with introductory fundamentals of quantum physics through to the modern advances.

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2010 #2
    I like Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics for its good introductory chapter on the mathematics required. Other classic QM texts include Griffiths and Liboff.
  4. Feb 27, 2010 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Zettili is getting good reviews at Amazon, but I haven't read it, so I don't know if the reviews are true. I actually haven't read any of the good introductory texts, so I won't say anything more about them. But whatever book you choose to be your first, I think you should also get Isham and read that on the side. It's a short and easy book with more focus on what the theory is actually saying than on what you can calculate with it.

The best advanced book is Ballentine, but it would be a really bad idea to make that your first book.
  5. Feb 27, 2010 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have also found some of the older books, like H. A. Kramers' "Quantum Mechanics" and L. D. Landau's "Quantum Mechanics" to be useful, since they were written by people who were active participants in the initial development of quantum mechanics, and therefore have a clearer view of the foundations and structure of the subject. They also go into much more detail on applications to molecules, atoms, solids, radiation etc. that the modern 'standard' introductory textbooks don't treat in any detail.
  6. Feb 27, 2010 #5
    A.C Phillips - Introduction to QM - Good for Wave-Mechanical Approach but useless beyond 2nd year really.
    Auletta - Nice book but really helpful from 3rd year and up.
    Shankar is good but could do with an update.
    Griffiths book may be a good investment.
    Townsend - This is a good book and would be good for most of your degree.
  7. Feb 28, 2010 #6
    Cheers for the replies!
    Just went for Griffiths' book, had good reviews and sounds like a good introductory one.
  8. Mar 1, 2010 #7
    Consider also Cohen-Tannoudji's two books "Quantum Mechanics". Essential pedagogical masterpiece!
  9. Mar 1, 2010 #8
    Consider also David Miller's "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" (https://www.amazon.com/Mechanics-Scientists-Engineers-Classroom-Materials/dp/0521897831) among others.
    I value it very high since it is very well written and suitable even for self-study. And there's one more reason - It is no good to stick only to one title.
    The author himself points out that:
    "My personal experience is that a difficult topic finally becomes clear to me once I have five books on it open on my desk."
  10. Mar 6, 2010 #9
    Shanker's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is quite good and I learned it by myself.
    Griffiths' book is also very good.
    Laudau's book is much more difficult and I think it is not easy to read.
  11. Mar 6, 2010 #10
    Thanks again, I'll get these all down on a list for when I'm next looking to get a few books :)

So far got - Griffith's and the Feynman lecture series. Plus some general books for conceptual rather than mathematical reading from Kaku, Hawking, Greene etc.
  12. Mar 7, 2010 #11
    BTW: somewhere online you can also find the exercises with solutions associated with the Feynmann lectures.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook