1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergraduate Research Dilemma

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    Ok I have an important question about having publications in a field that is not related to your field, does it still increase your chances of getting accepted into grad school ie, does it add to your research experience in the way they look for or is it just about doing research in one area and picking that for grad school.(Engineering/science Grad school that is)

Have any one of you applied to a top grad school with out-of-major publications and gotten accepted? If yes what was your situtation in other respects?

The kind of out-of-major publication I am speaking of is like majoring in engineering physics and then writing a co-authored paper on philosophy in physics? Does this add to your application? What about something like a publication on ethical behavior of students?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2012 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Any work of academic merit will bolster your chances of getting into graduate school.

Lots of students get into great graduate schools every year without any publications to their name at all, so I wouldn't stress too much over whether or not you're going to end up with a publication that isn't related to the field you're interested in pursuing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook