Undergraduate research or thesis topics in electrical power

In summary, the speaker is an electrical engineering student who is interested in doing research or a thesis in electrical power engineering. They mention that their university does not offer courses on this topic, so they are relying on books and literature to find a topic of interest. They express interest in network analysis of power generation networks, economics of electrical power generation and grids, circuits, electrical machines, and power plants. They have a good knowledge of the fundamentals of EE and some knowledge of power electronics. They are seeking advice and mention reading articles about analyzing the AC power grid and suggest exploring the current state of the art in railgun technology.
K Murty
Hi
I am an electrical engineering student, would like to do research and or a thesis in electrical power engineering.
However, because our university does not offer any courses on this topic, I am left alone to peruse the books and literature and find some topic of interest.

do not know if this is possible at the undergraduate level, however would like to push myself and gain some experience.

Interested in the:
1. Network analysis of power generation networks.
2. Economics of electrical power generation and grids.
3. Circuits
4. Electrical machines..
5. Powerplants.

My background is that I have a fairly good knowledge of the fundamentals of EE (circuits.basic electromagnetism and mathematics behind) and some knowledge of power electronics (little). very interested in this topic.
Any help or advice appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
First, I would read through the several Insights Blog articles that have been written by @anorlunda about analyzing the AC Power Distribution Grid. They are great sources of information that should give you a good start.

Here is a link to Part 1: The Basics -- https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/ac-power-analysis-part-1-basics/
Thanks...indeed it is a great analysis!

Likes berkeman
I would suggest that you might want to read up and explore the current state of the art in railgun technology. This is fascinating stuff for many of us. I used to work in this area, but I am years out of date now.

Likes K Murty

1. What are some current research topics in electrical power?

Some current research topics in electrical power include smart grid technology, renewable energy integration, power system stability, electric vehicle charging infrastructure, and power system optimization.

2. How can I choose a suitable thesis topic in electrical power?

When choosing a thesis topic in electrical power, it is important to consider your interests, the current state of research in the field, and the potential impact of your research. You can also consult with your advisor or professors for suggestions and guidance.

3. What are the benefits of conducting undergraduate research in electrical power?

Undergraduate research in electrical power can provide valuable hands-on experience, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and enhance your understanding of theoretical concepts. It can also improve your chances of getting into graduate school or securing a job in the field.

4. Can I conduct research in electrical power without prior experience?

Yes, you can conduct research in electrical power without prior experience. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of electrical engineering principles and some knowledge of programming or simulation tools. You can also gain experience through internships or research assistant positions.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest developments in electrical power research?

To stay updated on the latest developments in electrical power research, you can attend conferences and seminars, read research papers and journals, join professional organizations, and follow experts and organizations in the field on social media. You can also subscribe to newsletters or email alerts from relevant publications or institutions.