1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergraduate Research Topics?

1. Feb 8, 2016 #1
    I am currently a sophomore physics student at a relatively small liberal arts college. Research opportunities are extremely limited, but I am applying for a grant of up to $2500 to perform a research project for the school. I am having some trouble coming up with topics/projects that I could work on for the next two years (give or take), and I am looking for any ideas that people might have? I don't have any prior research experience, but I am interested in electronics, mechanics, and materials. I am very open to ideas, so please share any potential research projects that you think might be a good fit. Also, I have a little less than two months to come up with a full proposal including a timeline, budget, etc.

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2016 #2
    It's hard to brainstorm ideas unless we have a good idea of your existing skill sets and resources you may have available in the department or elsewhere.

4. Feb 9, 2016 #3
    Like I said before, I do not have any prior research experience. I have basic general physics and chemistry laboratory experience, introductory computer programming skills, and am learning about electronic circuits. As the project progresses, I will be taking more advanced courses that will allow me to gain more skills. As for resources, my school is well equipped with a 3-D printer, hardware for mechanics, radioactive materials, optical units, and electrical circuit building. Hope this helps.

5. Feb 9, 2016 #4
    That's a bit limited. Your local faculty can probably help you better connect your skills with the available resources and expertise.

Odds are there is a path forward by working over the next few months to bring your skill set up to allow something, but there are several possibilities and you cannot pursue them all.

When I was an undergrad, my programming abilities opened a lot of doors, but it included instrumentation and numerical analysis coursework and experience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook