1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergraduate schools

1. Aug 24, 2009 #1
    I will be applying for undergraduate schools in a couple of weeks, and i only have 1 or 2 definite schools that i want to go to. Mainly University of Maryland College Park (-close to my house -cheaper then most state universities -solid math and physics programs -research opportunities) but i also have Virginia Tech in mind.

So what I'm asking for basically is if anyone has had a good experience at a school around my area which those qualifications while also keeping attending grad school in mind.

Many thanks to anyone that lends advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

UMD is a pretty good school, a lot of my cousins went there (and a couple were math/physics major) and they have positive comments about the school overall.

In fact it's going to be one of my choices for my undergrad :tongue:

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3
    I am currently a senior at UMD in physics and astronomy. Maryland has a very good department. There are many opportunities for research, and the professors generally seem to enjoy teaching. I do have a couple complaints about the physics curriculum, but there are easy ways around them. I love it at Maryland.

Unfortunately, I only applied to College Park, so I can not tell you much about other schools in the area. I know UMBC has a solid program, and a focus of their department is biophysics. UVA has a rather large program as well, I believe. There is Johns Hopkins right up in Baltimore which I believe has a solid reputation. And I don't know anything about Virginia Tech.

5. Aug 25, 2009 #4
    thanks, glad to hear UMD is decent.

6. Aug 25, 2009 #5

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

oh yeah my cousins went to UMD college park, just in case you're wondering

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook