1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergraduate textbooks

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    I'm looking forward to buying some general undergraduate-level textbooks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology. What are your suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2
    There are thousands of undergraduate text books in all of those subjects. You'll need to specify your question/whatever further.

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3
    I don't know much about chem or bio, but for introductory physics textbooks I would go with Griffiths for Quantum and EM.

5. Dec 1, 2011 #4
    Chemistry
    Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter & Change by Silbergberg <---- General
    Organic Chemistry by Wade

that's it for chemistry that I can recommend. Other usual topics are inorganic chemistry and physical chemistry but I'm not sure on which textbooks I'd recommend

Biology:
    Biology by Campbell and Reece <---- General
    Genetic Analysis by Griffiths, Wessler, Lewontin, & Carroll
    Evolutionary Analysis by Freeman & Herron

If you want to learn undergrad level cell biology, then make sure you know some organic chemistry before moving on!! (also know some genetics)

Fundamentals of Biochemistry: Life at the Molecular Level by Voet, Voet, & Pratt
    Essential Cell Biology by Alberts, Bray, Hopkins, Johnson, Lewis, Raff, Roberts, & Walter

Physics:
    make sure you have a decent math background!!
    Calculus, Linear Algebra, Vector Calculus, Complex Analysis, Ordinary Differential Equations, and Partial Differential Equations should be enough.

Fundamentals of Physics (Extended Edition) by Halliday, Resnick, & Walker <---- General
    (note: this is a calculus-based introductory physics text which is really really good for self study IMO. Some people knock it for being too "elementary" or "watered" down, but I say for the autodidact it's best to take it one step at a time.)
    Classical Mechanics by Taylor
    Statistical Physics by Mandl (note: universities usually use Kittel or Schroeder, but I prefer this)
    Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths
    Quantum Mechanics: Concepts & Applications by Zettili (note: QM by Griffiths is a standard among universities, but again, I'd have go with Zettili for self study)
    Special Relativity by French
    A First Course in General Relativity by Schutz (general relativity sometimes isn't covered in the undergraduate curriculum)

In case you'd like some math textbook recommendation as well (that aren't really rigorous) for undergrad physics

Math:
    Calculus by Larson & Edwards
    Elementary Linear Algebra by Larson, Edwards, & Falvo
    Differential Equations w/ Boundary Value Problems by Polking, Boggess, & Arnold
    Partial Differential Equations with Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems by Asmar
    Introduction to Vector Analysis by Davis & Snider
    Fundamentals of Complex Analysis with Applications to Engineering, Science, and Mathematics by Saff & Snider

all of these books are easy to read and great for self study IMO

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook