1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Underground cables

1. Jun 5, 2010 #1

I just got a small question.

If a 50Hz grid line is carried underground for a distance of 10km. And it is also known that the capacitance is 400nF per phase per km. What is the total reactive power generated in the 10km length?

Then I could say that we have a total of 400nF * 10 = 4000nF per phase.

[tex] Power = \frac{V^2}{X_c} = \frac{400k^2}{\frac{1}{2 * \pi * 50 * 4000nF}} = 127MVAr. [/tex]

1. However, this is the power per phase isn't it? From my lecture notes it is the total reactive power however I can't figure out why.

2. Also, I'm trying to find the charging current in each phase of the line.

According to my lecturer power in each phase is the power I got earlier divided by 3, but the same capacitance is used if the formula I^2Xc is used.

Please help, this is really confusing me!
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2010 #2
    Anyone please?
  4. Jun 7, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

What are you using for the "voltage"? The voltage that is listed for a 3-phase line does not show up across each wire pair...
  5. Jun 7, 2010 #4
    Sorry, my mistake. The question says it's a "400kV grid line"
  6. Jun 7, 2010 #5

Staff: Mentor

So for a 400kV 3-phase transmission line, what is the voltage difference between each pair? See if the answer makes more sense now.
  7. Jun 7, 2010 #6
    I'm not sure I follow. I think I misunderstood the question to be honest. When you're told that a cable is a 400kV cable, what's the meaning of that exactly? I know that when it comes to 3 phase systems for example, when you're told that you have a 415V supply, that means that the line to line voltage is 415. However I'm unsure about this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook