1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understand foam porosity

1. Jun 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This should be a pretty simple question but I can't find a straight answer in the literature. I want to simulate a 3D model of a metal foam by starting with an aluminum block and filling it with randomly placed spherical holes of constant volume. The foam should have a porosity of 20 ppi (pores per inch) and a volume ratio of 25% aluminum. How many pores should there be, and what are their sizes?

2. Relevant equations
    20 pores per inch
    25% aluminum, 75% void by volume

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not clear on precisely what "ppi" means. Does 20 ppi imply that a 1 inch cube of aluminum should contain 20^3 = 8000 pores? And that each pore should have a volume of 0.75/8000 = 0.00009375 in^3? This seems pretty obvious but I want to make sure before I proceed. Thank you for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assume the pores are spherical. Work out what the radius of each pore would be. Can you put them on a 1/20" pitch/grid without them intersecting each other :-)

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with packing theories.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  4. Jun 5, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google suggests Cubic Close packing can achieve 74% packing density but I'm not quite sure how you calculate the PPI in that configuration..

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SpherePacking.html

5. Jun 5, 2015 #4
    The pores in a foam are allowed to overlap with each other. This isn't a sphere packing problem though. This is a question of the expected value of the volume these pores will occupy.

6. Jun 5, 2015 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that is how I see it. As far as averages go, it should make no difference whether the pores are neatly arrayed in equi-spaced rows and columns, or randomly positioned. So, take the easy route, consider them all neatly arrayed in 3D ranks. :smile:

Work out the radius each would have if it were spherical, and compare this dimension with their centre-to-centre spacing to see whether the model seems realistic for your application.

7. Jun 6, 2015 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the pores overlap each other won't the volume ratio be incorrect. (eg some of the volume is double counted).

PS I believe they do overlap.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  8. Jun 6, 2015 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Will the expected overlap be likely to alter the prescribed composition of 25% by more than ±1 sig fig?

9. Jun 8, 2015 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I did the sums right the volume of a single pore after deducting the 6 overlaps is

8.86 * 10^-5 cubic inches compared to
    9.38 * 10^-5 calculated by ignoring the overlap

8.86 * 10^-5 * 8000 = 0.71

eg 71% rather than the 75% requested.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted