What is the real-world application of triple integrals?

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the use of a single integral to find the area under a y = f(x) curve above the x-axis can be extended to finding the volume of objects using double and triple integrals. The difference between the two is that the double integral integrates over the height function while the triple integral integrates over the volume of the object. The triple integral also has real-world applications such as calculating mass and finding the coordinates of the center of mass.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

I know that a single integral can be used to find the area under a y = f(x) curve, but above the x axis. Correct me if this example of a double integral is invalid: If I hold a piece of paper in mid air and it droops, the double integral will give me the volume of the object bounded on the bottom by the ground (flat and even) and on top by the paper (smooth but sloping downwards - like a surface). What then, does the triple integral tell me? Is there a real-world example? Thank you.

I've seen that other people have asked the same question in this forum, but I still couldn't understand the reasoning even after reading them.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

The double and triple integrals both give volume. So is there a difference? What is a real world example of a triple integral graph?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is true you can calculate that volume with both a double and a triple integral.
For the double integral you would have to integrate over the height ##f(x,y)## with ##\iint_D f(x,y)dxdy##. However that is equal to the triple integral over the body described by ##D## and the height function. ##\iiint_B 1dxdydz## would do exactly the same thing. Usually you just get the double integral directly when doing this but in some cases you get easier calculations using the triple integral.

Similary when you calculate the area in a plane with a normal integral that is equal to the double integral over 1 for that area ##\int_a^b f(x)dx = \iint_D 1dxdy##.

But you don't want just the volume or area or something. The triple integral is very usefull if you are integrating over for example a vector field in 3 dimensions when you wouldn't integrate over 1 but instead the value of the vector field of that point.
Hope this helps you understand it a bit better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Calpalned
Calpalned said:
What then, does the triple integral tell me? Is there a real-world example? Thank you.

If you want the mass of an object you need to know both the volume and the density, so if T is the solid & δ is the density function the mass of the object would be
$$\int\int\int_{T} \delta \,dV$$
If δ=1 you'd just get the volume. The coordinates of the centre of mass are then given by
$$\overline{x} = \frac{1}{m}\int\int\int_{T}x\delta \,dV$$
$$\overline{y} = \frac{1}{m}\int\int\int_{T}y\delta \,dV$$
$$\overline{z} = \frac{1}{m}\int\int\int_{T}z\delta \,dV$$

I suppose 2d objects could be done with double integrals but for more complicated ones you might need a triple integral

1. What is the purpose of "Understand Integrals II"?

The purpose of "Understand Integrals II" is to further expand upon the concept of integrals and their applications in various fields of science and mathematics. It builds upon the foundational knowledge from "Understand Integrals I" and delves deeper into the techniques and theories behind integrals.

2. What topics are covered in "Understand Integrals II"?

"Understand Integrals II" covers topics such as integration by parts, trigonometric integrals, improper integrals, and applications of integrals in physics, engineering, and economics. It also includes advanced integration techniques such as substitution and partial fractions.

3. Do I need to have a strong mathematical background to understand "Understand Integrals II"?

Yes, "Understand Integrals II" assumes that the reader has a solid understanding of calculus, particularly in the areas of derivatives and basic integrals. It is also recommended to have a good grasp of algebra and trigonometry.

4. How can "Understand Integrals II" be applied in real-life scenarios?

"Understand Integrals II" has various real-life applications, such as calculating areas and volumes, determining the center of mass of an object, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering problems. It is also used in economics to model and analyze various systems.

5. Are there any prerequisites for "Understand Integrals II"?

Yes, it is recommended to have a thorough understanding of "Understand Integrals I" or equivalent knowledge before diving into "Understand Integrals II". It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic calculus concepts and mathematical notation.