Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Understand Laplace alot better now

1. Sep 17, 2005 #1
    Ok, I'm starting to understand Laplace alot better now. But I have, hopefully, my last question. If you have a function like

g(t)=t^2 * sin(3t) * x(t) where x(t) has an already defined laplace transform.

do you actually include x(t) in your laplace transformation? Because when I see other problems that have u(t) at the end you don't really do anything with them, you only worry about the terms in front of it. Like f(t)=sin(3t)u(t), the answer is simply 3 / (s^2 + 9)....u(t) is not included in it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, you do.

That's because u(t)=1 over the entire range of integration in the transform. If you had instead u(t-a), a>0, then you could not just drop it.

4. Sep 17, 2005 #3

So for the problem:
    g(t)=t^2 * sin(3t) * x(t)

How would you go about transforming that? This is my first encounter of 3 terms...

5. Sep 18, 2005 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yeah, you'll probably need to review the chapter the step functions/laplace.

By the way, ever heard of convolution integrals?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook