1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understand Laplace alot better now

1. Sep 17, 2005 #1
    Ok, I'm starting to understand Laplace alot better now. But I have, hopefully, my last question. If you have a function like

g(t)=t^2 * sin(3t) * x(t) where x(t) has an already defined laplace transform.

do you actually include x(t) in your laplace transformation? Because when I see other problems that have u(t) at the end you don't really do anything with them, you only worry about the terms in front of it. Like f(t)=sin(3t)u(t), the answer is simply 3 / (s^2 + 9)....u(t) is not included in it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, you do.

That's because u(t)=1 over the entire range of integration in the transform. If you had instead u(t-a), a>0, then you could not just drop it.

4. Sep 17, 2005 #3

So for the problem:
    g(t)=t^2 * sin(3t) * x(t)

How would you go about transforming that? This is my first encounter of 3 terms...

5. Sep 18, 2005 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yeah, you'll probably need to review the chapter the step functions/laplace.

By the way, ever heard of convolution integrals?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?