Did I Accidentally Share My User Name in This Post?

• Thread starter Wayne Watson
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses changing a public ID or username on a forum. The user is unsure if they provided a username and wants to change it to a user ID instead. They are advised to send a PM to the admins with a request and reason for the change. The possibility of creating a standard form for name change requests is also mentioned. The conversation ends with the user requesting to be removed and re-registering with a different public ID. It is suggested that the registration process should ask for a public user identification instead of a user identification.
Wayne Watson
This is just a trial post to see what public information is seen in a post. I don't recall providing a user name, so I'm wondering if I did and it will appear.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so how do I change my public ID from my name to a userid instead?

Send a PM (link near the top right when you're logged in) to either of the admins requesting a name change. Make sure to include the reason you want it changed, and what you want it changed to.

Admins: Since this topic comes up so often, maybe it would be a good idea to have a standard form for name change requests? On the other hand, that might encourage too many requests for you to deal with. Just an idea.

Thanks. I happened to notice that option an hour ago in the verification msg sent to me, so sent one. The moderators are probably enjoying the day off.

There are only two admins that could change your name and its up to them whether they do it or not. An alternative will be for me to ban this account and delete the posts and you sign up with another name. Contact me if the admins refuse to change your name. You can find them here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/mentorforums/

Take more care in future. :wink:

Last edited:
Please remove me. I'll re-register. I think the register process page should ask for Public User Identification and not User Identification.

Wayne Watson said:
Please remove me. I'll re-register. I think the register process page should ask for Public User Identification and not User Identification.

on the net username is synonymous with nickname, send me a PM

1. What are the potential consequences of accidentally sharing my user name in a post?

Accidentally sharing your user name in a post can potentially lead to your account being compromised. It could also make it easier for others to impersonate you online, access your personal information, or send you fraudulent messages. It is important to be cautious with your user name and only share it with trusted individuals or platforms.

2. How can I check if I accidentally shared my user name in a post?

You can check if you accidentally shared your user name by reviewing the post and any comments or replies. It is also a good idea to do a quick internet search of your user name to see if it appears on any public platforms or websites. If you are still unsure, you can contact the platform or website to inquire about any potential public exposure of your user name.

3. Is it possible to change my user name after accidentally sharing it in a post?

It depends on the platform or website's policies. Some may allow you to change your user name, while others may not have this option. If the platform does not allow you to change your user name, you may want to consider creating a new account with a different user name to protect your identity and personal information.

4. How can I prevent accidentally sharing my user name in the future?

To prevent accidentally sharing your user name, you can double check your posts and comments before publishing them. It is also a good idea to be mindful of who you are sharing your user name with and only give it out to trusted individuals or platforms. Additionally, you can use a different user name or nickname on different platforms to minimize the risk of your identity being compromised.

5. What steps should I take if I believe my user name has been compromised?

If you believe your user name has been compromised, you should immediately change your password for the affected account. You should also contact the platform or website to inform them of the situation and ask for further guidance. It is also important to monitor your account for any suspicious activity and consider enabling additional security measures, such as two-factor authentication, to protect your account.