Can abstract math be understood through concrete examples?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Abstract
In summary, the conversation discusses the best approach to understanding abstract mathematics, with the suggestion of constructing concrete examples and becoming proficient in definitions as important steps. The quote by Von Neumann is mentioned, and the idea of adopting a mindset suited to abstract mathematics is also suggested. There is also mention of the different levels of understanding in pure mathematics and the importance of practice. Terry Tao is mentioned as an example of someone with a natural ability for understanding abstract mathematics.
pivoxa15
How to go about it? I had abstract algebra in mind.

Is the main thing to do as many solid examples as possible?

So the only way to understand the abstract it is to think concrete then generalise?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what kind of abstract algebra? does that mean Group Theory and Representation theory?

As Von Neumann once said, you don't understand it, you just get used to it :).

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
ozymandias said:
As Von Neumann once said, you don't understand it, you just get used to it :).

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/"

That's a very nice quote, possibly my favourite in mathematics as it is not only pleasant but useful.

So how do you get used to abstract maths? By constructing as many concrete examples as possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
mjsd said:
what kind of abstract algebra? does that mean Group Theory and Representation theory?

I had abstract maths in general on my mind but I am mostly interested in abstract algebra mainly rings and groups at the moment.

The first thing to do is to learn the definitions exactly. In mathematics, to a larger extent than other studies, definitions are "working" definitions- you use the precise words of defintions in proofs or problems.

In pure maths I have always known that there are two levels. One is the definition, the second is doing the maths. For the mathematically challenged, they get stuck on the first level especially when it gets more abstract.

What are the steps after the definitions are known well?

pivoxa15 said:
In pure maths I have always known that there are two levels. One is the definition, the second is doing the maths. For the mathematically challenged, they get stuck on the first level especially when it gets more abstract.

What are the steps after the definitions are known well?

You said it. Do some math.

I defer somewhat, since the best way to understand what is abstract is to adopt a frame of mind suited to it instead of trying to bind it to grounded examples.

Pure mathematics flows my friend in the eternal closure of definition, proposition and proof.

The easiest way to understand difficult and abstract mathematics is to become Terry Tao or someone of a similar standing. If that is not possible, practice makes perfect.

Gib Z said:
The easiest way to understand difficult and abstract mathematics is to become Terry Tao or someone of a similar standing. If that is not possible, practice makes perfect.

I thought Terry is on the concrete of abstract maths if that makes sense. i.e His speciality is in analysis and combinatorics which may be more concrete then some of the other branches in algebra or topology.

I meant it more generally, ie Have natural abilities like him. I'm sure he wouldn't have too much trouble grasping most mathematics given some time, even if he hasn't studied it before.

1. What is abstract mathematics?

Abstract mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with concepts and structures that are non-physical and do not have a direct real-world application. It focuses on generalizing and abstracting ideas from different areas of mathematics and finding connections between them.

2. Why is abstract mathematics important?

Abstract mathematics is important because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also provides a foundation for advanced mathematics and other fields, such as physics and computer science.

3. How do you approach understanding abstract mathematics?

To understand abstract mathematics, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts and to practice regularly. It also helps to break down complex ideas into smaller, more manageable parts and to look for connections and patterns between different concepts.

4. What are some common challenges when learning abstract mathematics?

Some common challenges when learning abstract mathematics include the lack of real-world applications, the need for a strong foundation in basic concepts, and the abstract nature of the subject itself. It can also be challenging to visualize and understand abstract concepts, as they are often not tangible or easily represented.

5. How can abstract mathematics be applied in real life?

While abstract mathematics may not have direct real-world applications, it provides a foundation for understanding and solving complex problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It also helps develop critical thinking skills that can be applied in everyday life, such as logical reasoning and problem-solving.