Understanding an integral rule.

• Thread starter christian0710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discussed notations in integration and clarified the rules for integrating functions. The first two rules state that the integral of the derivative of a function is equal to the function plus a constant, and the integral of a constant times the derivative of a function is equal to the constant times the integral of the function. The third rule states that the integral of cosine of a function is equal to the sine of the function plus a constant. The conversation then applied these rules to a specific function, u(x)=x^2, and confirmed that the derivative and differential of this function follow the given rules. The conversation also clarified that ∫(cos(x^2)*(2x)dx is equal to sin(x^2) + C
christian0710
Hi I'm tying to understand notations in Integration, and would really appreciate some help making sure that my understanding is right.My books writes

Let u and v be functions of x whose domains are an open interval I, and suppose du and dv exist for every x in I.Then it defines

1) ∫(du)= u + C
2) ∫(c*du) = c*∫(du)and
3) ∫(cos(u)du = sin u +CNow i do understand the first 2, but I want to make sure i understand the 3rd rule.

If u is a function of x with the equation u(x)=x^2

Then the derivative
du/dx= 2x

The differential
du=u'(x)dx

Now if it's true that du=u'(x)dx
Then it does make sense that ∫du =u+C because ∫du=∫u'(x)*dx and the integral of the derivative if u is u.

But if u=x^2

Then ∫(cos(x^2)*du = ∫(cos(x^2)*(2x)dx and this is = sin(x^2) + C as the statement above says.
because the derivative of sin(x^2) = cos(x^2)*(2x).

Is this the right interpretation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
why is ∫(cos(x^2)*(2x)dx not equal to sin(x^2) + C? you said in the line below it that
christian0710 said:
derivative of sin(x^2) = cos(x^2)*(2x).
which is exactly what appears under the integral sign.

Likes christian0710
cpsinkule said:
why is ∫(cos(x^2)*(2x)dx not equal to sin(x^2) + C? you said in the line below it that

which is exactly what appears under the integral sign.

Oh forgive me, that NOT was a BIG mistake ;)
You are right, it is e equal to it.

1) What is an integral rule?

An integral rule is a mathematical formula or principle used to calculate the area under a curve or the total accumulation of a function. It is an important concept in calculus and is used in various fields of science and engineering.

2) Why is it important to understand integral rules?

Understanding integral rules is crucial for solving complex problems involving rates of change and accumulation. It allows scientists to accurately calculate and predict values in various fields, such as physics, economics, and biology.

3) How do integral rules differ from differentiation rules?

Integral rules and differentiation rules are two sides of the same coin. While differentiation rules help us find the slope of a function at a specific point, integral rules help us find the total accumulation of that function over a given interval.

4) What are the most commonly used integral rules?

Some of the most frequently used integral rules include the power rule, the substitution rule, and the integration by parts rule. These rules are used to solve a wide range of problems in calculus and are essential for understanding more complex integral concepts.

5) How can I improve my understanding of integral rules?

To improve your understanding of integral rules, it is essential to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with different types of integral rules. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to gain a deeper understanding of the concepts.