Can you simplify this integral or do you need more background knowledge?

• I
  • Thread starter SemM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: They use partial integration and that ##\psi(0)=\psi(L)=0##.In that link posted above, they write:\begin{equation}-i\hbar \int_0^L \frac{d}{dx}[\overline{\psi}(x)\phi(x)]dx = -i\hbar[\overline{\psi}(L)\phi(L)-\overline{\psi}(0)\phi(0)]\end{equation}This part ##[\overline{\psi}(x)\phi(x)]## seems odd with those brackets.
SemM
Gold Member
Hi, I have the following integral which I am not confident on how to interpret (solve):\begin{equation}
\alpha \bigg( \int_0^L [\frac{d^3}{dx^3}\phi] \psi dx - \int_0^L [\frac{d^3}{dx^3}\psi] \phi dx \bigg)
\end{equation}

at this stage, I am not sure which rule to use to solve each of the two integrals in the brackets, or simplify them.

Is this possible to be simplified?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are ϕ and ψ? Without further knowledge about them it is hard to say anything. If you can calculate the derivatives explicitly, just do so. Partial integration might help, but it depends on your functions.
It is a bit strange to see x appear both as integration variable and in the derivative.

Meh ... my try :

$$\int \frac{d^3\phi}{dx^3} \psi dx = \psi \dfrac{d^2 \phi}{ dx^2} - \int \dfrac{d\psi}{dx} \dfrac{d^2 \phi}{ dx^2} dx = \psi \dfrac{d^2 \phi}{ dx^2} - \left( \dfrac{d\psi}{dx} \dfrac{d \phi}{ dx}-\int \dfrac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} \dfrac{d \phi}{ dx} dx\right) \\= \psi \dfrac{d^2 \phi}{ dx^2} - \left( \dfrac{d\psi}{dx} \dfrac{d \phi}{ dx} - \left( \dfrac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} \phi - \int \dfrac{d^3\psi}{dx^3} \phi dx \right)\right) $$

Likes SemM
Hi mfb, these are general functions. I can perform the calculation numerically, however, I wanted to delineate a general principle, and thus simplify these expressions as much as possible.

There is a paper with an analogous derivation:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0103153.pdf

on p 5, eqn, 12 derives this integral for the derivative d/dx on two functions, ##\psi and \hat{\psi}## . The next last step in that formulation is unclear, and it may be the solution to this question, but I am not sure.

SemM said:
Hi mfb, these are general functions. I can perform the calculation numerically, however, I wanted to delineate a general principle, and thus simplify these expressions as much as possible.

on p 5, eqn, 12 derives this integral for the derivative d/dx on two functions, ##\psi and \hat{\psi}## . The next last step in that formulation is unclear, and it may be the solution to this question, but I am not sure.

Unless I made a sign error I think the best you can do is

$$
\int \frac{d^3\phi}{dx^3} \psi dx + \int \dfrac{d^3\psi}{dx^3} \phi dx = \psi \dfrac{d^2 \phi}{ dx^2} - \dfrac{d\psi}{dx} \dfrac{d \phi}{ dx} + \dfrac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} \phi
$$

Likes SemM
In the mentioned paper, they use partial integrai
SemM said:

They use partial integration and that ##\psi(0)=\psi(L)=0##.

Buffu said:

$$
\int \frac{d^3\phi}{dx^3} \psi dx + \int \dfrac{d^3\psi}{dx^3} \phi dx = \psi \dfrac{d^2 \phi}{ dx^2} - \dfrac{d\psi}{dx} \dfrac{d \phi}{ dx} + \dfrac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} \phi
$$

Thanks I will follow this, with a sign correction on $$
\int \frac{d^3\phi}{dx^3} \psi dx - \int \dfrac{d^3\psi}{dx^3} \phi dx = \psi \dfrac{d^2 \phi}{ dx^2} - \dfrac{d\psi}{dx} \dfrac{d \phi}{ dx} - \dfrac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} \phi
$$
?

Last edited:
eys_physics said:
In the mentioned paper, they use partial integraiThey use partial integration and that ##\psi(0)=\psi(L)=0##.

In that link posted above, they write:

\begin{equation}
-i\hbar \int_0^L \frac{d}{dx}[\overline{\psi}(x)\phi(x)]dx = -i\hbar[\overline{\psi}(L)\phi(L)-\overline{\psi}(0)\phi(0)]
\end{equation}

This part ##[\overline{\psi}(x)\phi(x)]## seems odd with those brackets. What does it mean?

Last edited:
Buffu said:

$$
$$

Buffu, it seems you use a symmetric relation between the operations on ##\phi## and ##\psi##, in the terms:

##\psi \dfrac{d^2 \phi}{ dx^2}##

and
##\dfrac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} \phi##Was this intentional, and thus avoiding

## \dfrac{d^2 \phi}{ dx^2} \psi##

##\dfrac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} \phi##

?
Which rule did you use to derive this? Sorry, I have not seen this form before. Any literature reference or link is welcome! (Not because I don't trust this, but because I'd like to learn how to derive this)

eys_physics said:
In the mentioned paper, they use partial integraiThey use partial integration and that ##\psi(0)=\psi(L)=0##.

It appears they set ##\int_0^L dx d/dx[\overline {\psi}\phi] = [\overline {\psi}(L)\phi(L)-[\overline {\psi}(0)\phi(0)]##
but nothing indicates that they actually solved the integral, it appears the d/dx sign just vanished, and the difference between the L and 0 remains to be expressed.

What form of integration is this?

SemM said:
It appears they set ##\int_0^L dx d/dx[\overline {\psi}\phi] = [\overline {\psi}(L)\phi(L)-[\overline {\psi}(0)\phi(0)]##
but nothing indicates that they actually solved the integral, it appears the d/dx sign just vanished, and the difference between the L and 0 remains to be expressed.

What form of integration is this?

I apologize for a mistake in my previous post. You don't need the partial integration. You only need the fundamental theorem of calculus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_theorem_of_calculus), i.e.
##\int_a^b f(x) dx=F(b)-F(b),##
where ##F(x)## is the antiderivative of ##f(x)##, and that ##[\bar{\psi}\phi]## is the antiderivative of ##d/dx[\bar{\psi}\phi]##.

SemM said:
I thought integration by parts was: ## \int \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = \int \frac{d\phi}{dx}\psi dx+\int \frac{d \psi}{dx}{\phi}dx##
That's not integration by parts -- I can't tell what you're doing there.
This is integration by parts:
##\int u~ dv = uv - \int v~ du##

For your integral I get ##\int \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = \int \phi~ d\psi = \phi \psi - \int \psi~ d \phi##

eys_physics said:
I apologize for a mistake in my previous post. You don't need the partial integration. You only need the fundamental theorem of calculus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_theorem_of_calculus), i.e.
##\int_a^b f(x) dx=F(b)-F(b),##
where ##F(x)## is the antiderivative of ##f(x)##, and that ##[\bar{\psi}\phi]## is the antiderivative of ##d/dx[\bar{\psi}\phi]##.

That is fine, but in this case, F is unknown, so this remains elusive.

In the discussed case

##\int_0^L d/dx[\overline {\psi}\phi]dx = [\overline {\psi}(L)\phi(L)-[\overline {\psi}(0)\phi(0)]##

psi and phi is the same before and after integration. It appears they are symbolically calling phi and psi before and after integration as the same

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
That's not integration by parts -- I can't tell what you're doing there.
This is integration by parts:
##\int u~ dv = uv - \int v~ du##

For your integral I get ##\int \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = \int \phi~ d\psi = \phi \psi - \int \psi~ d \phi##

I am sorry, I mixed derivation of uv with the integration. Let me rectify that in order to avoid confusion for other readers.

SemM said:
I am sorry, I mixed derivation of uv with the integration. Let me rectify that in order to avoid confusion for other readers.
You also had the sign wrong on the right side. In your work it looked like you were confusing the product rule in differentiation with integration by parts

Mark44 said:
You also had the sign wrong on the right side. In your work it looked like you were confusing the product rule in differentiation with integration by parts

Yes, as I said, I did that.

Can you comment on this strange form?##\int_0^L d/dx[\overline {\psi}\phi]dx = [\overline {\psi}(L)\phi(L)-[\overline {\psi}(0)\phi(0)]##

Is it a plain imprecise formality to use F(x) = psi and f(x)=psi and the same for phi?

Mark44 said:
This is integration by parts: ##\int u~ dv = uv - \int v~ du##
Just as an add on for casual readers on how this formula can be easily memorized:

The product rule / Leibniz rule / definition of a derivation reads:
$$ \dfrac{d}{dx}(u\cdot v) = \dfrac{d}{dx}u \cdot v + u\cdot\dfrac{d}{dx}v$$ and integrating this gives us directly the formula for integration by parts so there isn't even another formula to memorize.

Likes SemM
Can we conclude that a general form of integration with arbitrary limits can be:

\begin{equation}
\int_0^L \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = [{\Psi}(L)\Phi(L)- {\Psi}(0)\Phi(0)]
\end{equation}This is apparently what was done in the paper quoted above.

Instead of:

\begin{equation}
\int_0^L \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = [\Psi \Phi]_0^L - \int_0^L \Psi \frac{d \Phi}{dx} dx
\end{equation}to be plain, I think the form given above (in that paper) doesn't seem written correctly. The latter is correct, although less nice.

SemM said:
Yes, as I said, I did that.

Can you comment on this strange form?##\int_0^L d/dx[\overline {\psi}\phi]dx = [\overline {\psi}(L)\phi(L)-[\overline {\psi}(0)\phi(0)]##
The integral can be written more simply as ##\int_0^L d[\overline {\psi}\phi]##, and is equal to the expression you show on the right.
SemM said:
Is it a plain imprecise formality to use F(x) = psi and f(x)=psi and the same for phi?
Not only imprecise, but it's wrong. What you're saying is that a function and its antiderivative are equal, which isn't generally true.

Mark44 said:
Not only imprecise, but it's wrong. What you're saying is that a function and its antiderivative are equal, which isn't generally true.
The paper I quote appears to do so,

Likes Buffu
Mark44 said:
The integral can be written more simply as ##\int_0^L d[\overline {\psi}\phi]##, and is equal to the expression you show on the right.
Thanks, I have the impression eqn nr 4 in my prev post is more accurate.

SemM said:
Can we conclude that a general form of integration with arbitrary limits can be:

\begin{equation}
\int_0^L \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = [{\Psi}(L)\Phi(L)- {\Psi}(0)\Phi(0)]
\end{equation}
No. The two terms on the right are what you get from the first expression on the right in the equation below. The above is correct only if the integral on the right side below happens to be zero.
SemM said:
This is apparently what was done in the paper quoted above.

Instead of:

\begin{equation}
\int_0^L \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = [\Psi \Phi]_0^L - \int_0^L \Psi \frac{d \Phi}{dx} dx
\end{equation}
SemM said:
to be plain, I think the form given above (in that paper) doesn't seem written correctly. The latter is correct, although less nice.
"Correct" is always to be preferred over "less nice."

Likes SemM
Mark44 said:
No. The two terms on the right are what you get from the first expression on the right in the equation below. The above is correct only if the integral on the right side below happens to be zero.

"Correct" is always to be preferred over "less nice."

Thanks I will use the form in eqn 4 then. Cheers Mark

@SemM, if you are having difficulty why this is wrong
##\int_0^L \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = [{\Psi}(L)\Phi(L)- {\Psi}(0)\Phi(0)]##
and this is right
##\int_0^L \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = [\Psi \Phi]_0^L - \int_0^L \Psi \frac{d \Phi}{dx} dx##, and how to carry out integration by parts, these doesn't inspire much confidence in your ability to be successful in comprehending the material you're trying to tackle. Integration by parts is a technique that is presented to freshman calculus students.

Mark44 said:
@SemM, if you are having difficulty why this is wrong
##\int_0^L \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = [{\Psi}(L)\Phi(L)- {\Psi}(0)\Phi(0)]##
and this is right
##\int_0^L \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = [\Psi \Phi]_0^L - \int_0^L \Psi \frac{d \Phi}{dx} dx##, and how to carry out integration by parts, these doesn't inspire much confidence in your ability to be successful in comprehending the material you're trying to tackle. Integration by parts is a technique that is presented to freshman calculus students.

Your communication is a blend of pedagogism and iteration of errors. I have asked a question about a different matter in the original post. Underway, I have posted a form from a paper that is not proving very accurate. If I have done so, it means that I have indeed seen an inclarity in this, so what is the problem?

Physics forum has everything to gain in being pleasant and having more humor and light-headedness in things than the inverse.

I think spotting the original deficiency with ##\int_0^L \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = [{\Psi}(L)\Phi(L)- {\Psi}(0)\Phi(0)]## and presenting ##\int_0^L \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = [\Psi \Phi]_0^L - \int_0^L \Psi \frac{d \Phi}{dx} dx## shows that calculus is fine. However, careful consideration and discussion/questions are made on the former, as it is from a publication. About mixing derivation and integration in a flash was a slip. Don't you ever slip? I do daily, and I learn much more from that than from grumpy notes. So let's be reasonable and friendly here, shall we?

Cheers

Last edited:
SemM said:
Your communication is a blend of pedagogism and iteration of errors. I have asked a question about a different matter in the original post. Underway, I have posted a form from a paper that is not proving very accurate. If I have done so, it means that I have indeed seen an inclarity in this, so what is the problem?
The problem is that you are attempting to tackle some fairly difficult mathematics without having the requisite knowledge of elementary calculus.
In post #1 you asked a question in which there were two integrals with third derivatives. As pointed out shortly, without knowing more about the functions in the integrands, the integrals couldn't be evaluated.
In post #8 you said this (which you later deleted):
I thought integration by parts was: ## \int \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = \int \frac{d\phi}{dx}\psi dx+\int \frac{d \psi}{dx}{\phi}dx##
That's not even close. First-year calculus students are expected to have competence with integration by parts.

In post #12 you showed an integral (Equation 12) from a paper you had linked to in a previous post.
##-i\hbar \int_0^L \frac{d}{dx}[\overline{\psi}(x)\phi(x)]dx = -i\hbar[\overline{\psi}(L)\phi(L)-\overline{\psi}(0)\phi(0)]##

This part ##[\overline{\psi}(x)\phi(x)]## seems odd with those brackets. What does it mean?
Evaluating that integral is simple -- the antiderivative of the derivative of something is just that something. This too is first-year calculus stuff.
SemM said:
I think spotting the original deficiency with ##\int_0^L \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = [{\Psi}(L)\Phi(L)- {\Psi}(0)\Phi(0)]## and presenting ##\int_0^L \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx = [\Psi \Phi]_0^L - \int_0^L \Psi \frac{d \Phi}{dx} dx## shows that calculus is fine.
Where do you see this integral in the paper you linked to? ##\int_0^L \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx##
Although the integral just above and the one in Eqn. 12 of the paper appear similar, different techniques are needed for each one.

Equation 12, the one you asked about, includes this integral: ##-i\hbar \int_0^L \frac{d}{dx}[\overline{\psi}(x)\phi(x)]dx##. Again, this is a very straightforward integral to evaluate.

SemM said:
However, careful consideration and discussion/questions are made on the former, as it is from a publication. About mixing derivation and integration in a flash was a slip. Don't you ever slip? I do daily, and I learn much more from that than from grumpy notes.
Sure. Like most humans, I make mistakes, but the things that I point out here aren't mere slips -- they are large gaps in your knowledge of calculus. Like I said, it appears that you are attempting to bite off more than you can chew, an opinion that is also shared by several other mentors who have participated in some of your other threads.
SemM said:
So let's be reasonable and friendly here, shall we?
I don't think I have been unreasonable at all. Mostly I'm trying to be realistic -- studying complicated material requires a solid understanding of the more basic foundation topics.

Likes eys_physics
Mark44 said:
The problem is that you are attempting to tackle some fairly difficult mathematics without having the requisite knowledge of elementary calculus.
In post #1 you asked a question in which there were two integrals with third derivatives. As pointed out shortly, without knowing more about the functions in the integrands, the integrals couldn't be evaluated.
In post #8 you said this (which you later deleted):

That's not even close. First-year calculus students are expected to have competence with integration by parts.

In post #12 you showed an integral (Equation 12) from a paper you had linked to in a previous post.

Evaluating that integral is simple -- the antiderivative of the derivative of something is just that something. This too is first-year calculus stuff.Where do you see this integral in the paper you linked to? ##\int_0^L \frac{d \psi}{dx} \phi dx##
Although the integral just above and the one in Eqn. 12 of the paper appear similar, different techniques are needed for each one.

Equation 12, the one you asked about, includes this integral: ##-i\hbar \int_0^L \frac{d}{dx}[\overline{\psi}(x)\phi(x)]dx##. Again, this is a very straightforward integral to evaluate.

Sure. Like most humans, I make mistakes, but the things that I point out here aren't mere slips -- they are large gaps in your knowledge of calculus. Like I said, it appears that you are attempting to bite off more than you can chew, an opinion that is also shared by several other mentors who have participated in some of your other threads.
I don't think I have been unreasonable at all. Mostly I'm trying to be realistic -- studying complicated material requires a solid understanding of the more basic foundation topics.
I am not sure there is any point in repeating myself. Physicsforum is to ask questions, should one always expect personal inquisitions, then no real point of asking.
Lets keep this impersonal , shall we?

SemM said:
Physicsforum is to ask questions, should one always expect personal inquisitions, then no real point of asking.
This isn't a "personal inquisition."
We welcome questions, but the answers we give have to be tailored to the level of knowledge of the person asking the question. In your case, the questions you're asking about QM presume a knowledge of mathematics and physics that you don't appear to have. What I'm saying is that you ought to put your current studies on a back burner, and fill in the gaps you have in mathematics and physics.

At least three mentors have commented about your questions, and will no longer take part in your threads. Here's what one of them said in our private mentor area:
I gave up on SemH. SemH is reading Kreyszig's nice, introductory book on functional analysis, but SemH does not have the background or mathematical maturity to benefit from this.

A Science Advisor said this:
"Pulled out of thin air" in this case is simply "at a level of mathematics that the reader is supposed to be familiar with".

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that describes the accumulation or total amount of a quantity over a given interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is often used to find the area under a curve in a graph.

2. How do you calculate an integral?

To calculate an integral, you need to use a specific set of rules and techniques, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, integration by substitution, or integration by parts. The exact method used will depend on the complexity of the function being integrated.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, representing the starting and ending points for the accumulation of the quantity. An indefinite integral does not have specific limits and represents the general antiderivative of a function.

4. Why is understanding integrals important in science?

Integrals are used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to calculate important quantities like distance, velocity, and area. They are also essential in solving differential equations, which are used to model many natural phenomena.

5. Are there real-world applications of integrals?

Yes, integrals have countless real-world applications. For example, they can be used to calculate the amount of medication in a patient's bloodstream, the amount of water flowing through a pipe, or the total mass of a three-dimensional object. They are also used in optimization problems, where finding the maximum or minimum value of a function is desired.