1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding Arc Length

1. Dec 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is probably very simple, but I'm teaching myself arc length via Paul's Online Calculus Notes and there's a simplification on the page:

eq0013MP.gif

I was wondering why the first [itex]Δx^2[/itex] was simplified to 1? I understand the other [itex]Δx^2[/itex] came out of the square root.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What you're thinking is akin to [itex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2} = \sqrt{a^2+1}\ b[/itex], which isn't correct. You can only pull something out of a radical if it's a factor. What Paul is doing is this:
    [tex]\sqrt{\Delta x^2 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2 \Delta x^2} = \sqrt{\Delta x^2(1 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2)}[/tex]Now because Δx2 is a factor under the radical, you can say
    [tex]\sqrt{\Delta x^2(1 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2)} = \sqrt{\Delta x^2}\sqrt{1 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2}= \Delta x \sqrt{1 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2}[/tex]

4. Dec 19, 2011 #3
    Oh you are completely right, sorry for such a silly question and thank you for explaining.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook