Understanding Simplification of Arc Length Calculations

In summary, the conversation is about a simplification in a calculus problem involving arc length. The question is about why the first term was simplified to 1. It is explained that the first term is a factor under the radical, which allows for it to be pulled out and simplified. The person apologizes for their misunderstanding and thanks the other for explaining.
Screen

Homework Statement

This is probably very simple, but I'm teaching myself arc length via Paul's Online Calculus Notes and there's a simplification on the page:

eq0013MP.gif

I was wondering why the first [itex]Δx^2[/itex] was simplified to 1? I understand the other [itex]Δx^2[/itex] came out of the square root.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you're thinking is akin to [itex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2} = \sqrt{a^2+1}\ b[/itex], which isn't correct. You can only pull something out of a radical if it's a factor. What Paul is doing is this:
[tex]\sqrt{\Delta x^2 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2 \Delta x^2} = \sqrt{\Delta x^2(1 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2)}[/tex]Now because Δx2 is a factor under the radical, you can say
[tex]\sqrt{\Delta x^2(1 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2)} = \sqrt{\Delta x^2}\sqrt{1 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2}= \Delta x \sqrt{1 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2}[/tex]

vela said:
What you're thinking is akin to [itex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2} = \sqrt{a^2+1}\ b[/itex], which isn't correct. You can only pull something out of a radical if it's a factor. What Paul is doing is this:
[tex]\sqrt{\Delta x^2 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2 \Delta x^2} = \sqrt{\Delta x^2(1 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2)}[/tex]Now because Δx2 is a factor under the radical, you can say
[tex]\sqrt{\Delta x^2(1 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2)} = \sqrt{\Delta x^2}\sqrt{1 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2}= \Delta x \sqrt{1 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2}[/tex]

Oh you are completely right, sorry for such a silly question and thank you for explaining.

What is arc length?

Arc length is the distance along the curved line of an arc. It is typically measured in units of length, such as meters or feet.

How is arc length calculated?

Arc length can be calculated using the formula L = rθ, where L is the arc length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle in radians. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula L = 2πr(n/360), where n is the measure of the central angle in degrees.

What is the relationship between arc length and central angle?

The arc length and central angle are directly proportional. This means that as the central angle increases, the arc length also increases, and vice versa. The relationship is described by the formula L = rθ, where L is the arc length, r is the radius, and θ is the central angle in radians.

What is the difference between arc length and chord length?

Arc length is the distance along the curved line of an arc, while chord length is the distance between two points on the circumference of a circle. In other words, arc length is the actual length of the arc, while chord length is the straight distance between its endpoints.

How is arc length used in real-world applications?

Arc length is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and geometry. It is commonly used to calculate the distance traveled by a moving object along a curved path and to determine the length of a wire or cable needed for a specific application. In architecture and construction, arc length is used to calculate the dimensions of curved structures such as arches and domes.